5. Close Encounter

Lily was lying down on the picnic blanket, her right elbow carrying her weight, and her left hand resting on her stomach. Her pale freckled face gleaming through the moonlight and her red wavy hair swept on one side of her shoulders all the way down her chest. She was facing Scorpius who was lying down as well, his perfect features enhanced by the shadows of his face with the help of the dim light of the stars.

"Remember that time when I was invited to Albus' 12th birthday party at your house and I was almost as stiff as a stone when you guys were playing?"

"Yeah, and I was the one who approached you to join us." Lily answered as if she always had that memory at the back of her mind.

"I was relieved that you asked me to play with you guys. I was a loner back then." Scorpius chuckled and shook his head at the thought.

"Well, I'm not much of a fan of making people feel out of place, because I experienced that a lot of times when I was a kid, too." Lily shrugged and took her last bite of the chocolate-covered strawberries.

"Right. The youngest Weasley. At least you had Hugo by your side. "

"Fair point. But boys get along with each other, they never worry about age gap. Teddy's seven years older than Fred, James, and Louis, but they act as if they're all best mates, including Albus and Hugo."

"At least you had them. I had no one." Scorpius silently commented.

"I guess having a huge family is better than being an only child sometimes." Lily said while playing with her hair.

"It's definitely better than being a Malfoy. Always feeling like a disappointment-- which I know I am, I must say so myself."

"C'mon, you're not -that- bad." Lily chuckled, nudging him.

"I didn't understand at first, but I found out through the frank remarks of other Slytherins. Eventually, my parents had to explain what happened 24 years ago."

"What did they say?" Lily asked, frowning.

"There were two kinds of people: one who thought that my family were a bunch of cowards who knew nothing but hide. and the other that thinks the Malfoys were a disgrace to the death eater community. Either way, we don't win." Scorpius' voice was deep and almost angry.

"There were so many versions of what had happened at the second wizarding war, Scorp. Not all of them were true." Lily tried to soften him up.

"They were monsters and they knew it, but their pride couldn't accept who they actually were. Except maybe my grandmother."

"But you forgive them, right? We did, for all that matters."

"Thanks." He muttered under his breath.

"Cheer up, you look like the bloody baron now." She teased as a smile crept up to her face.

He laughed, throwing a small strawberry at her.

Lily gasped dramatically and smudged chocolate dip on his face.

"Hey!" He wiped his face with the sleeve of his shirt and dipped his finger in the chocolate, threateningly.

"Don't. You. Dare." Lily glared and dipped her finger on the chocolate as well.

They both started smearing chocolate dip on each other's faces, Lily ran and pushed Scorpius away as he chased her. Lily kept running and laughing, trying to run as fast as she can, but Scorpius wouldn't give up.

Lily got tired and paused at the stairs for a second to catch her breath, so Scorpius caught up with her. It was ridiculously dark, so Scorpius didn't see that Lily was still on the stairs.

They both fell down three flights of stairs, laughing their lungs off.

Before Lily could stand up, Scorpius was already on top of her. The little hint of light showing only their eyes, locked on each other's faces.

Slowly, Scorpius leaned closer to her, their faces only inches apart. Lily felt his warm breath, both of them still heavily breathing from all the running and laughing. Their nose almost touching when Scorpius closed the remaining space between them. Lily's eyes fluttered close, expecting their lips to touch at any given moment.

Suddenly, Filch's old cat, Mrs Norris, started meowing behind the door as slow footsteps and mumbling started echoing outside the astronomy tower's door.

Scorpius sighed and whispered a very bad word in Farsi-- a different language, having been interrupted his winning moment.

"Filch is here." Scorpius whispered in Lily's ear before he grudgingly stood up.

Lily followed him and hid under the shadows of a large table. Luckily, Filch didn't see them, but they both knew that it was time to go back to their dormitories.

The next day, Lily was woken up by Alice with a cheeky grin on her face.

"Wake up, sleeping beauty. We're gonna be late for Potions!" Alice shook her friend vigorously.

"No." Lily said stubbornly as she covered her face with a blanket and turned to the other side of the bed.

"You have to wake up, I want to know all about what happened last night!" Alice whined, walking to the other side of the bed to face Lily with a pout.

"Alright, I'll tell you on the way to class. Leave me alone, I have to get ready." Lily groaned as she stood up.

Lily, Hugo, and Alice were walking along the corridors of the castle as she retold the story of what happened between her and Scorpius at the Astronomy Tower. Alice was squealing and beaming while Hugo was making barf sounds.

Just then, a group of sixth year Slytherin blokes were walking past them, Scorpius behind the other boys. Lily was bumped by Scorpius and he murmured 'Sorry' under his breath, giving her a quick glance before he walked away.

Lily looked down at her books only to see a small parchment on top of it. She unfolded the parchment that had a short note.

"Our tree, sunset.

See you there.

- S."