10. Domus Champions

It was finally time for the big announcement and everyone gathered around the Great Hall anxiously as they waited for the headmistress to arrive. Lily was drumming her fingers on the table nervously as she kept glancing at the Slytherin table, where Scorpius usually sat. He wasn't there yet and he was probably still mad at her for entering the stupid competition.

Seven days had gone by with Scorpius and Lily fighting over how she didn't tell him about her decision of putting her name inside the cup as well.

'You could've at least told me beforehand that you're putting your name on the damn cup, Lily.' His voice rang through her head, recalling how hurt he was. It pained her to remember how angry and devastated he was. She couldn't blame him, though. If Scorpius did the same thing she's done to him, she would probably punch his face and make him lose a tooth. Lily totally understood why he was giving her the silent treatment, but all she did was worry about him getting picked and she couldn't bare the thought of just sitting there, waiting for his name to be called. She just -needed- to do something about it and entering the competition as well would at least lessen the worry.

'And you never even thought of how I would react if you entered the competition? Bloody hell, Lily. All you thought about was -your- conscience and that's fucking selfish.' A small tear abruptly rolled down Lily's cheeks as she remembered the evident hurt on Scorpius' voice as he told her those exact words. She quickly wiped the tear away and glanced again at the Slytherin table, to check if he was already there.

He was.

The bags under his eyes were proof that he hadn't slept for days. He didn't even bother passing by the Gryffindor table to kiss Lily's cheek or let alone do anything to acknowledge her existence that day. When they looked at each other, Scorpius' eyes reflected how stressed he was and Lily felt more guilty, knowing that she was the cause of that.

God, she felt awful.

Professor McGonagall arrived at the podium, making Lily's heart beat twice as rapid as it already was.

"This is it." Alice gripped Lily's cold, shaking hand.

The room fell silent as McGonagall started talking. "It has been exactly a week, and you have all been given the chance to enter Domus Competere." Lily felt like she was going to faint any minute now.

"Remember that once your name has been called, you can no longer back out and you must immediately join the others in my office. We will have a meeting regarding your first task." McGonagall stated. Lily exhaled shakily as she looked down at her feet.

"Now, let's start with the Hufflepuffs." McGonagall pointed her wand at the glowing cup as a yellow smoke shot out of it, suddenly. A small folded paper flew with the smoke as it landed slowly on the palm of McGonagall's hand.

"KYLE FENEMORE!" McGonagall announced in cue for everyone to look around to see where he was. A seventh year bloke stood up confidently as everyone cheered and clapped for him.
"Congratulations." McGonagall bowed her head slightly and ever so formally. The boy walked out of the room whilst McGonagall waved her wand at the cup again.

Another paper landed on her palm. McGonagall slowly opened the paper as she read the next name. "ELIZABETH MEGAN PLUNS!" McGonagall announced as everyone cheered for the young third year girl from Hufflepuff.
"Congratulations, dear." McGonagall shook her hand before waving her wand at the cup again.

"Now, for the Ravenclaws." McGonagall inhaled deeply as another paper landed on the palm of her hand. She read it carefully and looked at the students with an unreadable expression on her face.

"LYSANDER SCAMANDER!" McGonagall announced as the Ravenclaw students roared with happiness. Apparently, a lot of people have been rooting for him.

McGonagall nodded once as he shook his hand. "Congratulations." She said as Lysander smiled politely and went out of the Great Hall.

"LYRA CREEVEY!"

A beautiful sixth year girl from Ravenclaw with a dimple on her left cheek stood up and walked out of the room, her blonde curls moving to the beat of her hips. She was beautiful and everyone seemed awestruck by her.

Lily's head suddenly became a blur, knowing that it was Gryffindor's turn. Everyone's cheers faded and all she heard were muffled sounds of the headmistress talking. She looked at Scorpius who was gripping his hair nervously as he looked down at the table. She couldn't feel anything anymore. It was like someone used the Petrificus Totalus curse on her, making her feel numb.

Everyone from the Gryffindor table rose from their seats as they jumped with joy. Girls screamed and boys howled in approval. Lily suddenly came back to her senses only to realize that her brother, Albus Severus Potter, was walking out of the Great Hall as he had been called as representative for the Gryffindor house. Albus was so much like their father and he never failed to live up to his name. He always had this knack of amazing everyone around him.

"Settle down!" McGonagall shouted at the Gryffindor table before she continued.

That was it. It was the Gryffindor girl's turn to be called. All Lily heard was the beat of her heart as her knuckles turned white because of her clenched fists.

"ISABELLE THOMAS!" McGonagall announced as everyone cheered for Isabelle. A girl with jet-black hair and caramel-colored eyes rose to her seat. Her cappucino-colored skin, glowing as she walked from the back of the long table. A few people tapped her back with an approving grin on their faces as she passed them. Lily looked at Scorpius once again, only to see him pale in the face as his Slytherin friend shook him reassuringly. Lily saw him exhale with much relief on his face for she hadn't been called.

But it wasn't over yet. It was still the Slytherin's turn.

A girl objected, saying that it was unfair that boys were always called first. The headmistress rolled her eyes in exasperation as she tapped the cup. "Ladies first, then."

Oh, great. Prolong the fucking agony.

Lily thought as her eyes of dagger mentally stabbed the girl who spoke up.

"ROXANNE AVERY WEASLEY!" McGonagall stiffened as Roxanne stood up with a smirk on her face. The Slytherins howled and banged their hands on the table, feeling like they had already won. That was it. They had a winner. Roxanne was fierce and strong. She is going to be one of the toughest competitors.

"Lastly," McGonagall smiled stoically as the last paper landed on her palm. Lily's heart started beating rapidly again as she pleaded inside her head:

Anyone but Scorpius, please. Anyone but him.

McGonagall opened the paper and read the name aloud...

"SCORPIUS HYPERION MALFOY!"

In that moment, Lily's world came crashing down.