Chapter 33. A Betrayal.

Rage.

"Where were you?" I inquire as I look through some property papers on my desk.
"Scarlett wanted to see Timothy. So I escorted her to his cottage." Martin replies standing on the other side of the desk.

With a tired sigh he plops down on the chair and pinches the bridge of his nose.
"I do not understand, Martin. Seven security failures in two months. Just who the hell is trying to get into the community!!!" I said sighing, myself.
"Its got to be an insider." He says shaking his head.

"But who? No one apart from myself, you and Tim know the security detail. The intruder has managed to dodge every one of my goddamn surveillance camera. How does he knows where they all are? No one was on the property but the two of us when it was getting built. We change passwords every fucking day!! Most of them you and Timmy don't even know about!!" I said through the gritted teeth.

"Have you talked to the surveillance company?" I ask him.
"Yes. I pay them a visit everyday! Not a single glitch on their side. I even took the men who set up everything around here, into custody to interrogate if they have gone behind our backs and leaked the information to someone!" Martin says.
"Nah....no one's that stupid to go against me." I say shaking my head.

"What if the government is behind this?" Martin says after a long moment of silence between the two of us.
I look up at him and my eyes grew.
"They can not be that stupid?!!" I said narrowing my eyes.
"Yeah!!! But they have been against you since you took over, Zenon. Not to mention we have infiltrated them enough to leave them with no money outside the taxes!" Martin says tapping his index finger on the table.
"They were stealing from the innocent people. Why else do you think I hold more power than those bastards!" I snap.

"Thats reason enough to try and take you down, Zenon. They happen to have hold of your old case files. They know who you really are...." Martin says widening his eyes.
I close my eyes in frustration and let the back of my head hit the head rest of the office chair I was sitting on.
"Its got to be someone from the government. No one else is capable of getting inside and making out seven fucking times." Martin says.

"Get me the files on the new mayor." I say with my eyes closed.
"Whats his name again?" I ask looking up at Martin as he stood up.
"Esteban Gomez. We were invited to his inauguration. Remember?" Martin says raising an eyebrow.
"Oh yeah!!! He doesn't like me." I remark.
"No one does." Martin chuckles.
I smiled and shook my head.

"Keep an eye on, Scar. Will ya? I don't want her getting out of the community!" I demand.
"Don't you think it will anger her if you cage her in?" He asks me.
"Its for her own safety!" I whispered.

****

Hearing the same naked feet padding on the tiles....

I smile and turn around just as Scarlett barges in looking breathless.
"You're going?" She asks with her eyes going big.
I put the last gun into my holster and smiled.

"I have some business to take care of. Something about a snitch in the government. Martin is staying behind to keep you safe." I tell her, taking her into my embrace.
"Can-can I stay over at Timmy's tonight? We want to catch up. And-and..." she stumbles over her words.
She is worried that I might say no.

"Yes you can. As long as you are inside the gates. I do not mind you staying over at Timmy's." I say holding her shoulders and looking her in the eyes.

She looks away from my scrutinising gaze and it makes me wonder what exactly is she trying to hide from me.
"Is there something else, princessa?" I ask with my brows pulled together.
She shakes her head and looks up at me.