Chapter 18

Hey guys.  sorry it's been so long. Out of respect for you readers I won't write down all my excuses.

I do want to say THANK YOU to those of you who are still reading.  i appreciate every one of you.  I would love to get more comments.  I know you want to leave a little something.  So, go on, do it.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy...let me know...

Dad dropped me off at school the next Monday.  I had bruises that were visible on my face and neck.  I kept my head down so that not everyone would notice.  I went to my class and sat at my desk waiting on the bell to start the day.

Dad had knocked the door down at the apartment.  He attacked our mom and beat her until she agreed to go back home with him.  Georgia was next.  He called her awful names and I jumped on his back while he was hitting her.  Finally, I’d had my moment of bravery.  That will never happen again.

We went back to our house with our dad.  Georgia and I ran to our room and listened to Mom and Dad argue for the rest of the night.  It was awful.  Georgia tried to soothe me, but it didn’t work.  Finally, she began to talk out what could have gone wrong as to how Dad found us.  We both agreed that one of his friends had followed Judy.

The school day went by slowly.  I didn’t want to go home after school.  I kept looking off, kind of day dreaming, that my teacher would notice my bruises and call the authorities to help me and Georgia.  She never looked my direction.  At recess, I sat by myself and read a book.

When the final bell rang I slowly made my way out to the waiting cars.  I found my dad four cars from the front.  I slouched into my seat and closed the door without a word.  Georgia was already in the front seat beside Dad.  She had the same look of defeat as I pictured was on my face.  It was like an unspoken agreement that we would be silent because he never spoke either.

Once home, Georgia and I both went to our room without a word.  We were told we could not go outside or have company until we could be trusted again.  We knew that would be a while.  And, it was.  We went to school and came home.  Georgia couldn’t even take me to church anymore.  We were told that Chris wouldn’t be coming back.  Georgia said he had moved in with Russ permanently.

Our lives had turned dreary and pointless.  Mom was drinking again and spent most of her time in her room when she wasn’t working.  Georgia cooked for me and her on most nights.  Dad ate by himself in the family room down stairs.  He didn’t want to spend time with us, but he didn’t want us to leave. 

Georgia cried a lot. When I asked what was wrong, she just shrugged her shoulders.  I knew that she was crying over Russ and their baby.  She wasn’t allowed to see Russ anymore.  I knew she missed him terribly.  Who wouldn’t, he was great.

^^

Our family’s house arrest lasted until June.  The Friday Georgia graduated to be exact.  Dad told Georgia that she could go out with her friends after the ceremony, but she wasn’t allowed to take me.  This brightened her spirits just a little.  I know she missed going out and feeling free.  I told her to go and that I wasn’t scared to stay with Mom and Dad by myself.  But, to tell the truth, I was.

“How do I look?”  Georgia asked as she turned away from the big mirror in the bathroom.

“Beautiful!” I answered honestly.  Her hair was curled into loose waves.  Her make-up was smooth with light pink lipstick.  She had on the mandatory white dress that flattered her figure.  She would wear the blue robe and cap after she got to the school.

“I hope so, I’m so nervous,” she gave me a slight smile.

“You do, don’t worry.”

“I’m afraid I’m gonna trip and fall while on stage getting my diploma.  And, what if I take the diploma and shake hands wrong.  There’s a right way and a wrong way, ya know,” Georgia admitted nervously.  “The worst thing is that I can’t even look at Russ with Dad around.”