Chapter 11

Eva, thanks for the encouragement and gentle nudging.  

~~~~~

Oh my, I just reread the last chapter.  I have to admit that i do NOT proof read, but that was rediculous.  I was trying out my new Dragon Speach.  Maybe it didn't understand my southern slang.  Anyway, sorry about that.

~~~~~

Russ sent me up stairs to see if my mother would be able to go to the hospital.  I ran, but she was still in the bed and I was unable to wake her.  I went back down stairs to Russ.  He was hanging up the phone as I walked in the door.

“She isn’t able to go, Russ.”

“That’s OK City.  I’ll go, you can come with.  I tried to call your dad at his office number, but they said he left hours ago.”

We all three hurried out to Georgia’s car and headed for the hospital.  Russ reached his hand over and patted my leg. 

“It’s ok, I’m sure she will be fine.”  Russ raised his hand and wiped his fingers across my face.  I didn’t realize that I had been crying, but my face was wet and my shirt was damp from tears.

I shook my head at him and he returned his hand to my leg.  I reached into the glove box and got a napkin to wipe my face.

I silently prayed that God not leave me alone during this.  I pleaded with God not to take my sister yet.  I promised Him that I wouldn’t lie, eat too much, cuss under my breath if he’d just let my sister live.  I tried to get my tears under control before I spoke again.

“Did they say what happened or how Georgia and Cami are?”  I was hopeful that he would say that everything was fine, but he just shook his head.

“It’s ok, guys.  If she had died they would have said someone needed to identify the body,” Michael leaned up from the back seat trying to be comforting.  I just began to cry harder thinking about having to identify my sweet sister.

“Shut up, Michael, you’re not helping at all,” Russ stated trying to hold back his emotion.

Michael sighed and leaned back.  I turned to see Russ wipe a tear from his face and dry his hand on his jeans.

I began to pray again.  This time, I had a little more resolve that Georgia would make it through this and be ok.

It didn’t take us long to reach the local hospital.  Russ pulled around to the emergency entrance and parked Georgia’s car carelessly.  We all got out and headed to the door.  Russ grabbed my hand and stopped me as we walked to the door.

“Savannah, no matter what goes on here, it’s ok.  I won’t leave you.  Are you gonna be ok?”  He had leaned down so that he was on my level and was looking into my eyes.  Isn’t this what I had prayed for?  For me not to be left alone.  Somehow, at this moment, it didn’t make me feel any better about the scenarios running through my head.

“I just want my sister.  Let’s go.”  I was glad that I had put extra napkins from the car in my pocket because the water works started.  I walked further into the door and Russ followed with a now silent Michael behind.

Once inside, Russ took the lead and walked us all to the information desk and asked about Georgia.  We were told that only one of us could go back to her room and the other two would have to sit in the waiting area.

Russ and I looked at each other and without a word he grabbed Michael and my shoulders and sat us in chairs next to the desk and turned to go see Georgia.  I guess we decided.

The wait was agonizing.  Michael tried carrying a few conversations, but I ignored his attempts.  I kept my eyes on the door Russ had gone through.  It led to the rooms where the emergency patients were treated.