Chapter 16

I have just a few notes:

My Aunt who I based the Aunt in this story on passed away last week.  she was such a wonderful, loving person.  I am happy to say that she wasn't sick and passed away in her sleep.  (I know, I know, I'm not exactly the sunshine and rainbows type of person.)  At her funeral I met family members who I never knew about.  I have been talking to them all week.  It kind of feels like her final gift to me.

This chaper introduces the reader to an annoying squiggly line.  I know how it got there, but now how to get rid of it.  Maybe by next chapter squiggly line will be killed off.  So, just don't let squiggly line confuse you with the story.

I also want to thank those of you who are reading.  I hope you are enjoying my story.

Here goes...

~~~~

I woke up Wednesday morning to yelling coming from the kitchen.  I looked over to Georgia’s bed, but she wasn’t there.  I was tempted to slink back under my covers, but I knew the yelling was over Georgia.  I couldn’t leave her to face our dad alone.  She would never do that to me.

I swallowed a few times trying to make the fear that had gathered in my throat go down.  The thought of my dad and what he would probably do had my palms sweating and my mind raceing.  It was hopeless.  I was afraid for Georgia and her baby.  We never knew how our dad would react in normal situations, and this was well beyond normal.  I was also afraid for me.  I had visions of him turning on me if I went in to see what was going on.

Fear and doubt had to be put aside.  It was for Georgia, and she had always done this for me.  I quickly threw the covers off and made my way silently down the hall and to the kitchen before my momentary bit of courage was gone.  I stood beside the door just listening before I dared to peek.  I held my breath as fear threatened to once again take over.  Georgia and Mom were both crying.  I could hear Georgia sobbing and then Mom trying to calm her.  I heard footsteps back and forth in the kitchen.  I assumed this was Dad.  He had become silent, no longer yelling.  Was this just a calm before the storm, or had he already inflicted enough pain?

I took a deep breath and slowly walked into the kitchen.  Courage was not my strong point, but I needed to see that Georgia was okay.  Dad was walking back and forth with the phone to his ear.  I looked at him and saw anger etched across his face as he avoided looking toward anyone.  Mom was sitting in a chair at the table holding Georgia in her lap whispering in her ear.  Both had tears rolling down their faces.  I could see that Georgia had red welts on her bare legs and a bruise was coming up on her cheek.  Georgia’s body shook as she tried to catch her breath.  No one noticed that I had entered the room.

“Georgia, are you okay?  What’s going on,” I asked as I went to her.  She opened her arms and held me tight to her chest.  I could feel her shaking with each breath.

Mom put her face to my ear while she stroked my hair, “go get ready for school and catch the bus.  Please don’t ask any questions, just go.”  She gave me a gentle push as Georgia let go of me and went back to clinging to our mom.  I looked back and Mom gave me a ‘shoo’ with her hand as a sad smile appeared on her face.  Georgia didn’t look up.  He face was buried in Mom’s neck.

I walked to Chris’ room, but he wasn’t there.  It looked as if he hadn’t come home the night before.  I wondered if that’s the reason Georgia had told her news this morning.  Maybe she didn’t want Chris to feel obligated to protect her from Dad.

I went back to my room and quickly got ready for school.  I didn’t even pay attention to what I put on or how I looked.  I was afraid to go back and ask any questions or to check on Georgia.  I had never seen Georgia so upset.  She could usually take anything.  She was the strongest person I knew, but now she seemed…broken.