Lucky 13

Well, I have split the paragraphs up in this chapter.  Some of you have asked that I do that to make it easier to read on your phones.  Let me know what you think.

A BIG thank you to Missylovesandysixx.  She didn't want me to hold my breath too long, so she hurried to make a comment.  I LOVE COMMENTS.  I do have to recommend her poem- 'R.I.P Stephanie', it's beautiful.

OK, hope you like it- If you do you can always vote or comment, you know you want to!

 '''

I was sitting in the back seat rolling my eyes at my mom’s attempts at covert flirting with Chris who was in the front seat with her.  We had left Dad back at the house.  He had brought the van back and was now organizing his fishing gear.

Chris and Russ had agreed to go out on the boat with him when we got back.  Georgia and I would find something to do, we always did.

I saw a movement from the front seat and looked to find my mother rubbing Chris’ leg with one hand as she drove towards town using the other.  My eyes were wide and I dropped my jaw in disbelief. 

I couldn’t believe that she would do this in front of me.  Did she not think I could see?  Chris leaned his head back as my mother’s hand got further up his leg.  They both had smiles on their faces.

Mom glanced back at me and saw that I was watching what she was doing.  She immediately pulled her hand away and put it back on the steering wheel.  Her jaw was tight and she had a frustrated look on her face. 

Chris straightened up and gave my mom a puzzled look.  She smiled at him sweetly and nodded her head towards me.  I couldn’t help but to feel in the way and not wanted at that moment.  I felt tears build up in my eyes, but I fought them back.

Chris just nodded his head in understanding.  He looked back at me with a sly smile and winked.  He knew that I already knew what they had been up to.  Knowing didn’t make it any easier to see.  Right in front of me.  And I knew that Georgia had already told him to knock it off while the family was at the lake. 

This place was supposed to be happy for us.  Georgia had always managed to keep Mom from drinking and Dad from fighting while we were here.  I didn’t want that to change.

“You’re not going to say anything, are you?”  He asked me while looking straight into my eyes.

I shook my head and looked out the window.  I was just trying to get him to stop looking at me.  Tears threatened to escape the rims of my eyes so I looked up to the top of the window, holding my head up.  Hoping that gravity would help the fight. 

I felt that he had turned around so I looked towards the front again.  When I looked, Chris had my mom’s hand and put it back on his leg.  She shook her head and took her hand back.

“Hey, Savannah,” mom’s voice broke as Chris began to rub her leg, “we’re going to stop at this café for lunch.”

I didn’t respond and she pulled the van into a spot and parked.  Chris’ hand was grabbing at her now.  Could they not control themselves? 

Mom handed me a twenty that she had pulled from her purse and told me to go into the café and order whatever I wanted.  She told me that they would be in soon.  Her voice was tense and lower than usual.  I knew not to argue with her.

I got out of the van and walked up to the door.  I turned back before I went in to see Chris pull my mom into his lap.  He was kissing her neck and shoulders.  Her head tilted back and to the side.  I saw Chris look my way right before he pulled her shirt up.