Chapter 24

(Alexis)

I woke up around 9 in the morning and when I looked over at Austin I saw that he was still sounds asleep. I know that I've said it before but he is seriously the most adorable sleeper ever. After a few minutes I finally turned away and lay on my back and stared at the ceiling. I thought about waking him up but I decided against it. He had trouble falling asleep last night. He tossed and turned for a while but was finally still other than the occasional movement.

I wondered why he couldn’t fall asleep. Was it because of what happened last night after dinner? I felt bad about lying to him about what my mom had said but I didn’t want him to get hurt and more upset than he already was. Something tells me that he didn’t believe me though. He was almost always able to see right through me. There were times when I did a good job of hiding it.

Like when he proposed for instance. I mean of course I was insanely happy and I did love him and want to marry him. But there was a part of me, a voice if you will, that said something was going to go wrong. I didn’t believe it. He wasn’t like that anymore. I had faith in him and I believed he meant it when he said he cared. I didn’t believe that he was going to do any of the stuff my mom said he would. He seemed truly sincere. Whatever.

I shook the thought from my head and checked the time on my phone. An entire hour had passed and he was still asleep. I smiled as an idea came to my mind. I started bouncing on the bed until I saw his eyes flutter open. I smiled and in a cheery voice said

“Morning sleepyhead.”

“Morning.” He said with a forced smile.

“Babe what's wrong?”

“Alexis we need to talk.” He said suddenly sounding serious.

“Okay.” I said slowly. “What is it?” he sat up and faced me so I did the same.

“I did a lot of thinking last night.”

“Yeah you were up for a while.”

“I know. I had a lot of trouble figuring things out.”

“What do you mean?”

“Alexis you know how much I love you, right?”

“Yeah.” I nodded. He looked down and didn’t say anything. It scared me.

“Austin you’re scaring me. What is it?”

“Before I say it I need you to know something.”

“Okay.”

“I meant every word I said about loving you and never hurting you. I really did.”

“I know you did.”

“In order for me to keep that promise I-“

“Please don’t say it.” I said feeling my eyes fill with tears.

“We have to break up.”

“Why?”

“It’s the only way I won’t be able to hurt you anymore.”

“You think this isn’t hurting me?”

“Alexis we fight too much to be a couple.”

“Austin that’s what couples do. They fight.”

“Yes I know that. But you deserve to be with someone who isn’t always hurting you.”

“What I think I deserve and don’t deserve is up to me. It’s not for you to decide.”

“You’re not thinking straight Alexis. You deserve better than me. It’s the right thing to do. Its what's best for the both of us.”

“God Austin why do you do this?”