Chapter 29

The air that hung over the Academy was a dismal one. There was not a sound but the wind. Students and dragons alike were asleep. It was dark outside, darker than it had been any other night. Were it not for the torches throughout the Academy and in the courtyard, the rider's would not have been able to see their hands before their faces.

The news of what had happened had been broken to the students not long before they had been sent to bed. It was now known to all that the Rider of Legend was in Haiden's hands. While it was a devastating blow, what made it all the more so was the fact that the one who had betrayed them all was someone from the Academy, a fellow student they all knew.

Seth was still in the stables, sitting on a bale of hay. His fists were clenched. Brandon had taken Destiny and gone to the council to discuss what they should do. Levi, in the meantime, had left to get some sleep. However, neither Gina nor Drake had moved from Seth's side. They hadn't slept a wink as they had stayed, watching as dragons took turns in restraining Redemption.

The white dragon lay on the ground panting. His eyes were filled with agony, and though he had spent most of his energy struggling against the dragons holding him down, he was still clawing at the ground, whimpering. He was exhausted, yet he was not giving up.

As the white dragon let out another whimper, Seth gritted his teeth. "That's it," he growled. He had had enough. It was time to do something, sitting around was getting nothing accomplished. "Brandon may have gone to the council...but it's taking too long."

Seth, Emerald spoke in his mind. She looked at him from where she was pinning the Dragon of Legend down.

Seth turned his eyes on her.

Brandon said it's impossible. We must wait for the council's decision.

How would Brandon know? Seth thought in reply. We haven't even tried! He didn't wait for her reply as he stood up. "I'm going," he announced.

Gina turned her tear stained face to look at him. "Going where?" she ended with a hiccup.

"To get Akira."

Redemption's struggling ceased. His yellow eyes turned towards Seth.

"What?" Drake exclaimed. He removed the hand he had awkwardly slung around Gina's shoulder to comfort her and took a step towards Seth. "You can't jus–"

"I can't stand here and do nothing but watch," Seth hissed. "I'm going to go find Akira and I'm going to get her out of there." His eyes dared Drake to argue with him. "And so help anyone who gets in my way," he added as he and Drake stared each other down.

Gina nodded. She wiped her eyes. "I'm coming with you," she said without hesitation.

"No!" Drake shook his head. "You guys can't go. Brandon isn't back from the council yet. He said they would–"

"Let dragon-fire burn the council and anyone that has anything to do with them!" Seth hissed angrily.

Drake stared in wonder at Seth's boldness.

Redemption's eyes filled with something other than pain for the first time. It was hope.

"Emerald, let him go," Seth told his dragon. His eyes were still on Drake, as though he expected the boy to stop him.

Seth, think about what you're doing, Emerald warned her rider.

"I have," Seth replied.

"If Brandon told us to, then waiting is the right thing to do," Drake attempted to make Seth see some sense.