*HNS (Chapter Five)

Chapter 5

  Caught…

SHE WAS RIGHT ABOUT them being on her trail, they were at my side in a heartbeat. Zack was in front of me, his eyes a crimson red, but then he saw my leg. He knelt down; his eyes turned a light blue.

I just looked at him in surprise. I expected him to start yelling, to tell me that I was killing their race for not helping him! 

He pulled my pant leg back a little more to examine my leg. I winced when he touched it.

“When did this happen?” He asked.

“…Thirty minutes ago…”

“I need to get her to the doctor,” He told Henry, then turned back towards me. “Sam, where did Kim go?”

“I don’t know. I haven’t seen her since yesterday,” I lied.

He lifted me up into his arms, even though I tried to squirm my way out of it, I eventually gave up and let him carry me. I was tense the whole time.

My leg hurt so bad that I felt like screaming for hours.

His eyes went from light blue to deep blue. I kept my eyes on his face cautiously. I didn’t understand why he was… well, worried?

“You don’t know how it felt when you realized that the person you need abandons you.”  

I was speechless. What could I say?

“I think you’ve suffered enough… We still haven’t found three people. Their protectors are still looking for them.”

I still didn’t speak; my mind was spinning with random thoughts. For one, my leg hurt more than I could describe, two, I worried about the other girls’ safety. I mean, I’ve got a broken leg and a gash in my arm. Three, I felt… Maybe a bit guilty?

How can I feel guilty? I shouldn’t feel guilt.  

“I think you need some sleep and food. I’m sure you haven’t eaten well, if at all. I haven’t eaten or slept since you left.”

“You haven’t slept?”

“No. I’ve been looking for you in the woods.”

I was quiet again. He hasn’t eaten or slept since I ran? I didn’t think he’d be this affected by me leaving. I half expected him just to go to earth and find him another girl.

We got to the facility about thirty minutes later, even though it took me a full day to walk as far as I did.

Zack carried me into the Doctor’s office, setting me very gently onto the table.

            “You found her! Oh, she’s hurt,” The doctor said.

            “Her leg is broken I think, and she’s dehydrated,” Zack explained.

            “You’re lucky you found her in time Zack, you might not have found her alive-“

I glared at the doctor and he quickly became quiet. Zack’s face was a bit too emotionless, it was slightly disturbing.

As the doctor began to fix my leg, having to push some things back into place, I screamed and bit onto the stick he gave me.

After that horribly painful moment, he wrapped my leg into a cast.

            “Are the pills helping yet?” the Doc asked.

            “A little,” I muttered through gritted teeth.