1: Hana and the Two-Storey

Hi, I'm Hana Clavella! I'm just an ordinary millennial living in the suburbs of Parañaque City, Philippines.  

I've been dreaming of independence ever since I was a college student. I consider independence as my ultimate dream because I want to grow outside the confines of my conservative family.

Sometimes, I'd like to blame the Filipino culture for having close family ties. Moving out in other cultures is normal but moving out in the Filipino culture is unusual. Most especially if you were raised in a traditional Filipino family. 

It didn't help that I am from a generation of early pregnancies and pregnancy scares. When my classmates in high school are going out-of-town, dating, going to clubs or partying, and getting pregnant-- I, on the other hand, would just usually stay at home and study.

My perspective changed when I started college. It was a different world. I've discovered a lot about myself and other people. As I become older, I realized that I can do so much more. 

I wondered what independence felt like. I perceived independence as a ticket to a more free environment where I can just laze around all day. I didn't think it would be a gateway for responsibilities. That as soon as I become an adult, I can exercise my freedom and free will. Then, voila! Reality bites and I got to taste what it really is like. 

My family finally let me move out after 4 years since I graduated from college. Can you believe that it took me my entire college life and basically another 4 years of my adult life before my family allowed me to be free from the sheltered culture?

I thought that moving out was a solution to the independence that I was seeking. I couldn't wait to have my own place and be my own person without the prying eyes of my family. What I didn't know was that my independence has a cost.

My parents' yes were not just the only factor I had to considerSaving money was an issue too. Paying for my own bills, my own groceries, my own personal needs, and doing all the chores by myself made me understand what adulting means. 

It was fun at first until I realized that my parents were really working hard because they give us the best things in our lives. 'Though I was earning already, I didn't appreciate the hard work that my parents go through because living under their roof meant that there are responsibilities that I didn't need to worry about or even think about. 

In those four years, I managed to save some money for a place to rent. However, it wasn't enough for me to lease a house.

Working for Seasons, gave me opportunities to travel and meet people in real estate. Mr. Tanael was one of the people I've met and he helped me find a place along Makati. 'Though I'm just looking for a condo to rent, he offered me a Two-Storey house with a catch. 

It was probably a huge coincidence to find a place to live in and meet someone from your past. What are the odds of meeting someone again and cohabitating with them?

I was probably not in my right mind to consider it. Nope, definitely not in my right mind. Because... hello? It's not just anyone, but someone I know. I wanted freedom. It was my ultimate dream! Yet, here I am, reading a five-page contract about sharing a house with a former classmate. 

Cohabitating. 

I've gone through 8 years of defense and persuasion with my family only to settle with cohabitation?! The terms were just too good to pass and what's the harm if I've known the guy for years? 

Yes. A guy. An old classmate in elementary school. I'll be sharing the house and the expenses with a former classmate. 

My parents weren't elated to know about this development. Shocked was an understatement. My father would have flown to the Philippines in a jiffy if he had known that I'm cohabitating with a male ex-classmate. My mother blew up my phone the instant she found out about it. Only my brother, Hero, understood my situation and pacified our parents about the terms and conditions of the contract. 

***

Arnold Ponteverde is a 24-year-old web developer in an Australian IT Company. He is 5 feet 9 inches tall. He has fair complexion, short hair, brown eyes, kissable lips, perfect white teeth and gorgeous smile. 

He is handsome. Meeting him again after 18 years and noticing how he has grown into a fine man kinda made my heart skipped a beat. He looks so responsible, so trustworthy and so reliable. He seems like the marrying type. 

Perhaps, if he wasn't the one I'm sharing this house with, I wouldn't sign the contract. But, they didn't need to persuade me because I'm 99.9% sure that I wanted it. 

***

At some point, I thought I have to fight for it. Arnold and I tried to outbid each other but I can only do so much. We both liked the house and neither of us wants to let it go. Since the house needs to be sold urgently because the owner is flying to the states, we decided to settle an agreement for it.

I tried my best to get all my savings and do some sidelines in order to pay for the down payment. I'm on the losing end because I knew that I have insufficient funds to lease it. 

On the other hand, Arnold came from a wealthy family, has a stable job, and has his fair share of savings. He doesn't have to go to great lengths to lease this house. In just a snap, his family can write a check and voile! Here comes the lovable house right at the palm of his hands.

I knew that it wasn't realistic. That reality was hitting me hard and I was on the brink of giving up. I was about to go back to my family and back down from chasing my dream when Mr. Tanael suggested that Arnold and I share the Two-Storey.  

It was surreal. At that time, I was only after the house. I didn't care much about Arnold or the idea of cohabitating with him. Mr. Tanael said that it's the only way we can have the house. It was unbelievable, but I still took it. 

It was more than just a fully furnished two-story house, with 3 rooms, 2 bathrooms, a modern kitchen, a veranda, and a beautiful garden. The struggle of acquiring it didn't just define how much I wanted the Two-Storey. It was symbolic and more valuable. It costs more than money. It costs me my blood, sweat, and tears. More than anything, it costs me my freedom.

***

I moved in at the Two-Storey four months after my twenty-fIfth birthday.

I was very excited to be in my own space, but I still felt very homesick at night. So, Hero would drop by every night or call me to help me get through it. 

Arnold also tried his best to make me feel at home. It only took him 3 months to make me feel at ease with him because he was a gentleman. We eventually started doing chores and errands together. Grocery shopping, exercising, doing chores, watching TV, and eating together soon became normal for us. 

Perhaps it's because I started dating at an early age, despite my conservative background, that made our cohabitation easy. Or perhaps, having a brother, made the living-in situation less cringe-y.