3: Family

I've finally settled at the Two-Storey after eight months. I still go back to my parents' house from time to time to get my stuff and bring it in the Two-Storey. I didn't bother bringing all of my things in one go because I'd like to have an excuse to go out, meet my friends, and pester my brother, Hero. 

I'd often inconvenience him into driving me from my new home to our parent's house as a payback to the time when he rat on me to our mom. But seriously, I just want to spend time with my brother as we don't get to see each other that often anymore.

When Hero visited me at the Two Storey for the first time, Arnold came by to say hi and introduced himself. They had a long conversation about my lease and they also talked about their similar hobbies and interests. At some point, Hero was also able to ask Arnold about their common network. 

Since Arnold moved to a different school in elementary and Hero is a batch higher than us, they both learned that they didn't have any common friends. Some acquaintance perhaps, but not really anyone that Hero can ask about Arnold. 

They talked while helping me bring my stuff in. They occasionally have conversations when Hero visits me and was somehow appeased when he got to know Arnold. 

***

Fast forward to the present, where I just got back from our company's team building event. Unfortunately, Hero couldn't pick me up today so I just booked a ride hailing service home.

I was too tired and badly needed rest. But then, I forgot to give Arnold a heads up that I'm on my way home. As far as I can remember, he spent his weekend with his family because it's his aunt's birthday.

I called Arnold right away and checked if he was home. "Hi! Is it a good time?" 

"Hey, Hana! Yeah, I've got time. What's up?"

"How are you? How was the family reunion?"

"It was great! I had a blast with the fam and really enjoyed the food. How about you? How's the event?"

"Well, it was tiring but I also had fun. By the way, I'm on my way home."

"Do you need help with your things? By the way, my mom was asking about you. Uncle Romy was at the party and told her about how he met you."

Shit. 

I wasn't sure if it was a good thing that his mom was okay with the fact that I'm cohabitating with his son. My parents would probably disown Hero if they learned that he is going to live with someone out of wedlock. 

The thing is, I realized even more how old-fashioned my family was when Arnold told me about his family's reception towards me.

"Wasn't it bad enough that she thought we're together? Now Mr. Tanael is involved..." And before I could start another sentence, he cut me off.

"Not really. On the contrary, she was impressed when she heard that you are a feature writer."

"Impressed? Why? It's not like I won a Nobel Prize or something?"

Arnold chuckled.  "Mom reads your articles and she's a fan. Not because you feature Uncle Romy's business from time to time, but because she's impressed with your work." 

I was left speechless. His mom read my articles? I think that's an exaggeration. I'm not a  famous columnist or anything. I've just started writing articles for Seasons in the past 4 years.  Even my mom couldn't admit that she was proud of me and my achievements. Heck, I'm not even sure if she had ever read any of my articles.