4: THE CONFESSION

When Hero drove me to work the next day, he sensed that something was up with me and Arnold.

"You used to act like this when you and Brenth were fighting. Did you have a fight with Arnold?"

"It's just a misunderstanding. That's all."

"How could you have a misunderstanding?"

"Arnold wants to date me because his mom likes me."

"And?"

"What do you mean? You know that I can't date him. Most especially him."

"Oh. That. It's true that you can't date him but it's about time that you go on a date."

I looked at my brother in disbelief.

"I don't want to date."

"Maybe you just need to give it a try."

"Shouldn't you vote against it? Shouldn't you be telling me that our parents will send me home if we do?"

"You're already an adult. You can make decisions for yourself. Just like leasing the house. You don't need to worry about mom, dad or anyone else because you can do whatever you want with your life."

"Its not only about the house. I don't want to date Arnold just because his mom likes me. That wasn't part of the plan anyway! We were supposed to have our boundaries."

"Your boundaries ended when you became friends again. Remember when you watched a movie together and his mom thought you were a couple? You let him in your life. He welcomed you into his life too. Heck, we wouldn't be talking about this if it didn't matter."

"I was only being nice because of how we've reconnected. I'm sure he is just doing the same."

"Yeah, I guess."

"Besides, we're not yet dating and we're already awkward towards each other. What more if we really decided to date? I'm not even sure he really likes me or if he was just excited with the idea of dating someone his mother likes."

***

When I arrived at my office, I was surprised to see a bouquet of white tulips on my desk. It has a card written by Arnold with a message of apology. The gesture made me smile. It was simple but it felt sincere.

I had to stay in my office and extend my working hours because of my research. I informed Hero that I'll just take a ride hailing service instead. I also sent Arnold a message that I'm going to be late. However, when I was about to leave my office, Arnold called me and told me to wait for him because he's going to pick me up.

"I'm sorry." He said as he opened the door for me.

"Apology accepted." I replied.

We caught up with each other over dinner and just laughed off our first fight.

"Thanks for the flowers." I thanked him as we arrived home.

"I thought you hated it."

"Why would I?"

"Because I'm a douche."

"Well, at least we know now that you're not perfect."

"Seriously?"

"Seriously."

We both laughed.

As we were walking inside the house, I asked him. "Can I ask you a question?"

I regretted it the moment the words left my mouth.

"Ask away."

"What kind of girls have you introduced to your mom?"

He chuckled. "Normal girls."

"Normal pretty girls?"

"Yeah. Why the curiosity?"

"Nothing."

"You probably thought that my mom was weird."

"Your mom? She's not weird. In fact, I think she's cool. I was just... surprised that she was not against our setup."

"Uncle Romy talked to my mom before his lawyer drafted the contract. She already knew that someone is going to lease the house. She just didn't know that I was going to lease it too."

"How is she cool with a woman living with you?"

"I'm an adult and I'm at the marrying age, Hana."

"Right. I guess, it's just my old-fashioned family."

"And there's no problem with that. You're here now living with me."

"Don't put it that way."

"I'm kidding, okay?"

"Fine." I pouted.

He reached out to me and hugged me.

It was the first time that he hugged me and I was surprised. The last time someone hugged me like this was Brenth.

I hated how it made me felt so I quickly un-hugged him.

I cleared my throat and said. "Boundaries."

He smiled at me and hugged me tighter. So I pinched him. "Do you want to die?"

He stepped back and ruffled my hair. "Chill."

I don't know what has gotten into me. "I'm probably just tired."

"It's alright, Hana. Don't sweat the small stuff."

"I know. But, agreeing to live here doesn't mean you can take advantage of me."

"I didn't mean to make you feel that way."

I moved away from him and I'm about to retreat to my room when he held my hand. "Seriously, Arnold? I'm not playing games with you."

"I like you."

"You don't. You just like the idea of dating because your mom likes me."

"I mean it."

"We can't. My parents..."

"You're of age already! For goodness' sake!"

"Are we circling back to pretending to be a couple again? I didn't agree to live in this house so you can use and abuse me, Arnold."

"It's nothing like that, Hana."

"What do you want, Arnold?"

"I'm falling for you."

"You're crazy. How can you say that to me when I know that you have a girlfriend?"

"She's not..."

"Not your girlfriend? A fling? Whatever label or no label you have with that girl. You can't just tell someone you like her and tell another girl that you like her too."

He let my hand go and I am freed of his grasp.

As I climb up the stairs, something hit me. A realization that I've been ignoring since we became friends again.

I like him too. I was just in denial because I don't want to risk getting hurt again and hurting someone again.

We've been accustomed to our set up that everything felt natural. We've developed routines and our friendship have grown stronger. I don't want to risk losing that.

This house used to be my own scapegoat. I've never thought that this house has become his scapegoat too. Two-storey has not only been a home, we've also found comfort in each other too.