WOW! X Chapter 27

Home, sweet, Home!

I came home three days ago and the babies came home today.

I was healing well and Shane wouldn't let me lift a finger. He lay in bed with me just cuddling up most of the time and everyone had been to visit. My parents, his parents, friends, extended family, Freddie and Johnny were ecstatic and can't wait to baby sit.

My parents had been really excited about the babies but when they saw me their faces turned to stone as they took in my appearance. I clung to Shane for support. Seeing the shock on their faces brought back the images from the hospital bathroom when I saw myself. I had done all I could to avoid the mirror since then and covered up as much as possible to hide the injuries from others. So when my parents gave me the look of horror I just couldn't stand up it knocked the wind out of my sails. Shane had pulled me onto his knee as he sat down. I felt his hands give me a supportive squeeze as he kissed my cheek. He linked our fingers together and kissed them. Gary jumped in with the offer of celebratory Champagne and everyone busied themselves getting drinks and nibbles.

Shane whispered in my ear "It's ok, you're doing great. I'm here baby. If it gets too much and you want to go, just let me know and we will make our excuses and leave. Say you need rest or something."

I nodded and took a deep breath pulling his hands and arms tighter around me, as I choked back the emotion that made me want to run screaming from the room and all the 'caring' eyes. Tears stung my eyes so I closed them and lay my head against Shane's shoulder, facing into his neck. Making it look loving and not needy. A few tears escaped and I knew he felt them against his skin. He turned his head away for a second and said "Hey Gary I'm just gonna take Stacey for a quick power nap. We'll be back out in a little while."

"Yeah sure thing matey," he shouted back then in typical Gary style he covered for his us brilliantly. "Going to play kissing more like," he said with a wink.

We went back to our room and Shane pulled back the covers. We got into the bed, pulling the covers over us. He wrapped his arms around me; our legs entwined and held me close to his chest. I didn't cry, I held it back, pushed it down and just squeezed him tight whilst I gained control.

"It's ok baby, I'm here!" he whispered and kissed my head, stroking my hair. I felt safe and warm and loved. "I love you, beautiful," he said. Stroking my hair and whispering loving, soothing words as I started to fall asleep.

"Don't leave me," I heard myself whisper as I fell to sleep, it must have been subconsciously as I hadn't intended too.

"Never," he whispered and kissed my forehead, pulling me closer as sleep drew me in.

When I woke I felt better and rejoined everyone.

Shane's mum was very much like Sandy and his Dad although very handsome and wealthy was nothing like his son. Shane was unique. Well except that Austin looked like him and obviously our kids. His parents had successful careers and although they had children together they had a turbulent relationship and would break up and get back together years later. Sometimes his mum would have had another relationship in between and produced a child or two. She swore Austin was her last and now she had grandchildren she was adamant. I still saw the others shake their heads in disbelief.

Even though they lived in the other part of the house I rarely saw his parents. They way he interacted with them was very different to Mona and Jacob. Less natural. More business like. I asked it about it once and Shane just said he didn't really know them that well and had nothing in common with them other than blood and where he lived. His mum was just interested in making the world pretty and his dad was just interested in buying it. Although he understood the need for those things and how he benefited from them, he was far more spiritual and put that down to his upbringing with Mona and Jacob. I still never understood how his parents were away from their kids so much but when his mother said she was great at sex and getting pregnant but crap at the rest, I thought thank god for Mona.