Chapter 28

Haiden stared at Akira, a sneer on his face.

"No," Akira jerked her chin from his grasp. "Never," her voice shook, "I won't call him for you. He won't come. You can't have him!" Her pale face showed she knew what would happen if her dragon came.

Hiaden turned and walked a few steps away, a smug smile on his face. Lifting the sword in his hands, he ran a finger along its blade. "I bet he is already rushing here, ready to come to his rider's side." A tickle of blood welled up from the cut that had formed on his finger. Haiden nodded in satisfaction at how sharp the edge of the blade was.

Fury chose that moment to speak. Yet...I don't sense the white dragon moving.

What? Haiden whirled to face his dragon. It didn't surprise him that Fury would be able to tell. The two Dragons of Legend were connected by fate, their link growing stronger the longer they lived at the same time. It wasn't unusual that Fury, having been around longer out of the two dragons of legend, would pick up on it first.

He wants to, Fury continued, yet...he's not coming. The dragon sounded confused at this.

Haiden's eyes narrowed. A harsh laugh escaped from his lips. "I see." He turned back to Akira. If that dragon won't come on his own... he thought. "Call him," he directed the command to Akira.

Akira's head turned in his direction. He saw her swallow, saw the fear on her face. Yet, then her mouth set in a firm line, showing her defiance.

Haiden sighed in frustration. "Look here, girl. I don't think you have much of a choice."

Akira turned her head to the side.

Narrowing his eyes, Haiden took a step towards her. "I'll ask you nicely one more time. Call. Your. Dragon."

Akira clenched her fists. She swallowed, yet her throat was dry. She knew that if she called Redemption, he wouldn't hesitate to come. One word from her and he would be on his way. Yet she also knew that if he did, he would not survive. She couldn't let things end like that.

Bravely she lifted her head. "Do what you will. My answer will not change," she whispered.

There was a moment of silence. Haiden stood, gripping her blade as he stared at her.

She won't do it. She may be out of her mind with fear of us, but she won't call him willingly. Fury told Haiden what he already knew. Enough of the games. It's time we changed our approach.

"One way or another, the white dragon will come to me, and I will have his blood," Haiden said coldly.

Akira's face grew even paler. It was easy to see that her brave front was not very deep. Haiden could see that she was terrified, and it gave him satisfaction beyond anything.

He began to chuckle. "The fun part is that you don't have a choice in the matter," he told her.

Akira felt dread enter her. "You can't make me," yet even as she whispered those words, she realized how wrong they were.

"Oh, but I can." Haiden walked towards her. He lowered the sword so that its tip scrapped across the ground. Akira gritted her teeth at the unpleasant sound; it made every fiber in her body plead with her to run.

"Let me remind you," Haiden told her, "that a dragon can not only read his rider's thoughts. He can also...feel your emotions."

Akira heard Haiden's every step. She heard them cease, signaling that he had come to stand in front of her. Haiden reached out with his free hand and touched a strand of her black hair. Feeling his touch, Akira jerked back, yet the guards held her fast.