Chapter 27

You have been heard!

After coming to an agreement with my publisher, I have re-uploaded the rest of the DOL: Destiny. Please remember, this is the unpublished version and so has several differences as well as lack of editing. 

Please note, book 2 will face several chapter removals on May 19th, 2018. This is due to the book getting published and thus there are several copyright issues as well as Amazon rules of exclusivity. However, I am working on alternative ways to get the complete second book out for those that can't buy it for reasons. Please see that chapter posted on the day of removal for further information.

Enjoy the rest of DOL: Destiny!

Akira's head throbbed. The constant sound of dripping water only made it pound harder. Turn off the noise, her mind begged. Maybe then she would be able to drift off to a peaceful sleep. It was in that moment that she realized how cold she was. Out of instinct, Akira reached for her blanket, however, something restrained her from doing so.

That was when her senses woke up. She wasn't in a bed; in fact, she was lying on a stone floor. On top of that, there was a rotting stench all around, mixed with the smell of earth. Trying to make sense of her situation, she slowly sat up. Painfully, she moved her head to the left, trying to relieve the kink in her neck. Opening her eyes did no good. She was greeted by the same darkness that had become so familiar since she had lost her sight.

Akira moved her right hand to her face in an attempt to press it against her forehead. Once again, she felt her movement being restrained by something. There was the clanking of metal as she tried to move it again. Frowning, she reached over with her left hand to try and find out what was restraining her right. It touched something cold and smooth. Feeling further she felt a large and heavy chain was attached to it. Panic shot through her as she realized that she had been shackled to a something.

Her breathing quickening, Akira tried to recall what had happened. She remembered the feeling of danger. The same feeling of a heavy darkness still hung in the air. Where am I? She shivered with cold from the dampness of the place.

Her memory was blurry, yet, if she remembered correctly, she had been on her way back to the Academy with Olivia.

But we never reached it, she realized. I asked Olivia and then...

A cold feeling settled in the pit of her stomach. This is all wrong...this place feels wrong! Terror welled up inside her as she tugged desperately at the shackle around her wrist. The only result was a clanking sound and a sharp pain shooting through her entire arm.

Akira? She froze as she heard the voice in her mind. It was a familiar voice and yet seemed to be coming from somewhere far away. It was faint, almost quieter than a whisper.

Akira? the voice repeated. Akira could just make out the worry in it. However, the voice made her relax somewhat as she felt a familiar presence in her mind.

"Ree?" she whispered.

Akira! Her dragon's voice was filled with relief. It gave Akira the feeling that he had been trying to reach her for a while. Are you all right?

I...I think so.

She could faintly feel the wave of relief that washed through her dragon. Akira, I need you to listen very carefully, he told her gently. She could hear in his voice that he was trying to stay calm for her sake. I need to know where exactly you are.

Akira's heart sank. If Redemption didn't know where she was, then neither did the others at the Academy. That meant that help wasn't on the way.

Akira, where are you? her dragon repeated.