Chapter XXIV:

Chapter XXIV:

Plan B

  Two men stood in Theo's kitchen. She immediately recognized her father's face, but the other man's was unfamiliar. Her mind was racing to one man. Jospeh Alston. "Daddy." She whispered, looking over at her father. If this was Jospeh Alston, why was he sitting in her kitchen? She wanted to marry Philip. Not this man. "Who's this?" She asked, looking over at the other man. Aaron took a few steps towards his daughter.

   "Theodosia—"

   "Daddy, who is this?" She asked him again, trying to remain as calm as possible. Aaron didn't say a word. "Do you mind if we talk in the living room please?" She said to her father, completely ignoring the other man's presence. Aaron nodded and the two made their way to the living room. "Please tell me that the man in our kitchen is not who I think it is." She said, her voice staying strong and clear. "Daddy, please tell me that you are not trying to c-court me with a man that isn't Philip." This time, her voice trembled. She was enraged.

   "Theodosia, dear, just let me explain." She stood there, waiting for him to explain the situation. "You know, Theodosia, that I don't think that marrying Philip is a strategic move."

"Strategic? Since when is marriage about strategy? I love him, Daddy. Marriage is a symbol of love." She hissed at her father. Theo couldn't believe this. He seemed like he was warming up to the idea of her marrying Philip. "Is that man in the kitchen Jospeh Alston?"

Aaron nodded. "I'm trying to keep him around as a backup plan if things between you and Philip fall through." She could tell by the way the man dressed, even from her quick glance at him, that he was very wealthy. Perhaps even wealthier than the Hamilton's. Her father was thinking strategically.

"Don't you believe in marrying for love, Daddy?" She asked him. "You were in love with Mum when you married her, correct?"

Aaron nodded. "I did. I still do love her, but that isn't the—" Theo interrupted her father's statement.

"Then why won't you just let me marry who I want to marry?" She asked, receiving no response. "Mum would let me marry Philip." She said coldly.

"Theodosia, you know I don't like when you use your mother against me." Aaron said, irritation flooding his voice.

"Mum wouldn't arrange a marriage for me behind my back, even after I already had a proposal." She fired back at him. "Mum would listen to me."

"That's enough, Theodosia!" Aaron said, raising his voice. He hated when Theo would use Theodosia against him, mostly because he knew what his daughter was saying was right, but Aaron wasn't Theodosia. Aaron was the one who was alive, so he was the one who made the tough decisions. "Mr. Alston is a very nice young man. He's even willing to wait to marry you. Do not blow this, Theodosia."

   Theo narrowed her gaze at her father, practically burning holes right through him. "Fine." She hissed, her voice as cold as ice. Theo stood still as her father began walking back into the kitchen. He turned around, looking back at her.

"Theo, please." He said softly. Theo walked over to her father, pressing her lips together hard. "I love you very much." He told her. Aaron loved his daughter, she just didn't understand why he was doing this. She's too young to understand, he would tell her.

"I know." She said, not meeting his eyes. The two went back into the kitchen. The man, Jospeh Alston, looked up from his glass and smiled warmly at the girl. From what Theo remembered, Jospeh was nineteen years old and lived in South Carolina.

"Miss. Theodosia Burr, I was wondering when I was going to have the pleasure of meeting you." He said, making his way over to Aaron and Theo. He took her hand, placing a light kiss on it. Theo didn't like it. "I am Jospeh Alston. It's very nice to meet you."

   "Pleasure." She said plainly, getting a gentle nudge from her father. "I mean, it's a pleasure to meet you too, Mr. Alston." She hated this. Meeting the man she might have to marry was just awful. She had already met the man she wanted to marry, Philip Hamilton. Not this man. "Welcome to our home." She said, being the good hostess she was.

   "Thank you, Miss. Burr, for welcoming me into your home." Sure, he was a nice enough young man, but he was no Philip. Nobody would ever be close to Philip, not by a landslide. Theo nodded anyway.

"Theodosia, Mr. Alston will be joining us for dinner tonight." Aaron informed his daughter. Jospeh smiled at the girl, clearly happy to be there. Theo just wanted to be with Philip, in his arms, hearing his comforting words. Aaron and a hired chef placed the meals on the table. Theo and Jospeh sat on one side of the table and Aaron sat on the other.

It was a very quiet dinner. Theo wasn't in the mood to talk to her father or Jospeh Alston. They all sat there silently, Theo picking at the food on her plate. Joseph would try making small talk with Theo, but she wasn't in the mood for talking. Aaron would try striking up conversation between the two, but Theo still wouldn't talk to anyone. After Theo finished her meal, she stood up from the table. "May I be excused please?" Theo asked.

"I guess so, Theodosia." Aaron said, not looking up from his plate. Theo quickly rushed out of the room, leaving her plate on the table. She dashed towards the entryway, grabbing her jacket from the coat rack and leaving her house. She headed off towards the Hamilton household. When she arrived, she quickly knocked on the front door, waiting for anyone, literally anyone, to come to the door. Luckily, when the door swung open, Philip was standing on the other side.

"Theo, what—" Theo quickly threw her arms around his waist, hugging him tightly. Her lip began to quiver, trying to hold herself together the best she could. Philip wrapped his arm around the girl, noticing her distress. "Hey, hey. What's wrong, love?" A small cry slipped out, which led her to an emotional breakdown. Philip held the girl tightly as she cried, trying to comfort her as best she could. "Theo, love, what's wrong?" He asked softly.

She looked up at the boy, wiping her eyes. "When I arrived home, my father had Jospeh Alston there." Philip looked down at the girl, heartbreak in his beautiful golden-green eyes. "He wants me to get to know him as a back up plan. He doesn't believe in us." She shook her head, trying to contain herself.

   "I'll tell you what, love." Philip said, wiping the tears from her cheeks. "Let's prove him wrong." Theo nodded, smiling softly at him.

   "Let's prove him wrong."

—————
Alright guys! Thank you all for reading, commenting and all that! I love you all! Thanks for all the support! Have a wonderful day!