Chapter V

Chapter V:

Young Love

    Theodosia couldn't sleep that night. She couldn't get Philip Hamilton out of her head. He had not only entered her mind, but entered her heart. Her heart fluttered just thinking of the boy. As much as Theo wanted to tell someone, she didn't think it was smart to tell her father. He wouldn't be happy that she kissed a boy, let alone a Hamilton boy. Theo placed her hands on her chest and smiled up at the ceiling. Her cheeks hurt because she had been beaming ever since she got home.

     Theo scrambled out of her bed and over to her desk. She lit a candle, pulled out some ink and paper. The only way she could set aside her thoughts were by writing them down. She quickly began scribbling a letter to her deceased mother.

Dearest Mother,

     Today was a BIG day. I received a letter from Philip Hamilton today. Well, it was really a poem with much meaning. He confessed his love for me today. Finally! I was so happy that I rushed over there immediately. I even forgot to shut the door on my way out! When I got there, I told him how he stole my heart and I had my very first kiss. It was magical and everything I could have hoped for. He makes me feel so special, so important, and worth the while. He looks at me like there's nobody else in the world but him and I. My heart won't stop fluttering. Everything is perfect. Almost perfect, rather. I wish you were here so I could tell you in person. I love you.

Your dearest,
Theodosia

—————

    Philip stayed and watched her walk away. As soon as she was out of sight, he hollered loudly and joyfully. "Yes!" A neighbor looked up from their garden at the excited boy. "Sorry, Ma'am." Philip rushed back into his home, heading to the kitchen where Eliza Hamilton was already waiting for him to tell her everything.

    Eliza observed her son's face. "I'm assuming things went well." She smiled. Philip pulled a chair out, turned it around and sat.

     "Well? It went better than well! She felt the same way as I do!" Philip let out a laugh. "It's wonderful, Mum." Eliza grinned at her son. "I kissed her, Mum! It was... great! Her lips are really soft and I felt like I was melting." Philip rambled on and on about how happy Theo made him and how perfect he thought she was.

    Eliza smiled and took a slip from her teacup. "I always knew that the two of you would end up together. I could tell the very first day you two met, Mrs. Burr could too." Eliza sighed at the thought of her best friend. "I wish she could have seen it actually happen. She'd be more thrilled than anyone." Eliza narrowed her eyes at her son. "Theodosia is a lovely young girl."

     "I couldn't agree more."

    "That's good. That means you won't hurt that poor girl." Eliza said sharply, surprising Philip. "She's been through so much, she doesn't need another heartbreak." Philip nodded in agreement. He couldn't imagine a life without his mother. He didn't know how Theo did it everyday. "I raised a gentleman, now I just hope you act like one." Philip nodded.

"Mum, I promise." Philip knew very well that Eliza loved Theodosia Burr. Maybe it was because she was such a sweet girl, or the fact that it's her very best friend's only child. She not only shared her mother's name, but she shared Eliza's name too. Theodosia Elizabeth Burr.

"Good boy." Eliza patted her son's hand. Alexander Hamilton rushed into his home, grabbing paper and supplies from the living room. "Alexander, is that you?" Eliza yelled from the kitchen. Philip and his mother peered through the doorway to see a frantic Alexander gathering things. He whipped his head around and faced his family.

"Uh... yeah. It's me." Alexander stuttered, fumbling to hold all of his stationary in his arms. "I-I have to do some writing."

"But Alexander, you're always writing." Eliza said, a frown forming on her lips. "Besides, Philip has some news you'll be interested in." Alexander watched as his face lit up.

"I would, but I have work to do. I'm busy at the moment. Maybe later, Philip?" Philip nodded, disappointment clearly on his face. After all, Alexander was the one who told him to confess his feelings for Theo in the first place.

     "Yeah, okay." He watched as his father scurried up the stairs to his office. Eliza closed her eyes and let out a shaky sigh. "Mum?" The dark haired woman shook her head. "Mum, it's alright. Pops is just a busy guy. He always has been."

     "Yes, I know, but you're his son! His child! He doesn't pay you any attention." Eliza held back her tears. "It's one thing if he acts that way towards me but I refuse to let him ignore my son." Philip's mother stood up quickly and marched upstairs.

      "Mum, no!" Philip practically fell out of his chair trying to get up and chase after his mother. "This really isn't necessary, Mum!" He chased his mother up the stairs but he was already too late. His mother had already burst into his father's office.

      "Alexander Hamilton!" Eliza Hamilton shrieked. Alexander jumped up from his desk. "You listen to me. You will sit down, stop writing, and listen to your son! Do you understand me?" Alexander nodded. "Now go on, Philip." Eliza smiled softly and left the two Hamilton men alone.

      "Wow." Philip whispered.

     "Your mother is a very surprising woman." Alexander said as he sat back down in his chair. Philip grabbed the stool sitting in the corner of his father's office and sat. "Now what did you want to tell me, son?"

Hamilton watched as his son's face was filled with a bright pink blush. "I told Theo how I feel about her, Pops." For the first time in a while, Alexander was genuinely interested in something other than his writings. "She actually ran over here from her house earlier today."

"Did she really?" Philip nodded. "Tell me more."

"She feels the same way." Philip beamed. "She feels the same way, Pops! You were right!" Philip leaned back, almost toppling off his stool. "I've never felt so happy." Alexander smiled widely at his son.

"That's fantastic, Philip. I told you." Alexander grabbed his son's arm comfortingly. "Does her father know?"

Oh shit. Philip hadn't even thought about Aaron Burr's reaction to the situation. He knew very well that Theo's father wasn't a fan of his own father. "I-I didn't think about that. I'm not sure."

"You listen to me, Philip. Do not let Aaron Burr stand in the way of what you want. You're a Hamilton with pride, right?" Philip nodded. "Hamiltons fight for what the believe in."

"Thanks Pops." Alexander turned back to his desk.

      "Now if you don't mind, I have a very important pamphlet that I have to write."