Chapter XXII:

Chapter XXII:

He'll Think About It

There was definitely some tension in the Burr household after Philip had asked Aaron to marry Theo. Theo, being someone who often would overthink everything, was a bit on edge around her father. She was almost nervous that if she said anything about it, he'd immediately make up his mind and shoot down Philip's offer. Theo was being extra cautious, not prying for her father's response.

Theo did see positive signs in her father. He hadn't been mentioning Joseph Alston as often as he previously was, but he still spoke of him, which worried her. Staying in the house with her father was driving her crazy. So decided to head over to the Hamilton's. Philip wouldn't be home because it was a weekday, but Eliza would be, and that would be enough. After informing her father of where she was going, she grabbed a coat and headed out for the Hamilton house. It was snowing outside and the air was chilly, so she hurried her pace.

When she arrived at the house, Theo quickly knocked on the door, eager to get inside and warm up. A face appeared on the other side of the door, and it wasn't who she had expected it to be. Alexander Hamilton stood before her, just like he had been yesterday. "Hello, Mr. Hamilton." Theo greeted him, rubbing her hands together in an attempt to warm them.

"Miss. Burr, it's freezing outside." Alexander stated, getting a nod from Theo. "Come inside and warm up." Alexander stepped outside of the door frame, allowing the young woman to enter his home. Theo stepped inside and Alexander took her coat, hanging it up on a rack for her. "What brings you around? You know Philip is at school, right?"

Theo nodded, well aware that he was. "I was actually looking for Eliza." Eliza was the one whom she confided in. She shared everything with Eliza, like they both were teenagers, gossiping about silly things. "Is she around?"

"Her and Angelica took the children to the tailors and out to lunch." Alexander was invited, but kindly refused the offer, saying how much work he had to do. "I'm afraid to share that it's only me, Miss. Burr." Theo nodded, looking over at the man, whom she secretly admired.

"If it's not too much to ask, do you mind if I just stay here for a while? I just need to be out of my house for a bit." Alexander couldn't blame her. He couldn't imagine living in a house with Aaron Burr. The poor girl. He nodded, leading her into the library, remembering the girl's love of books.

"Not at all, please, making yourself comfortable." Theo smiled as her eyes made her way to the bookcases in the room. The Burr's had their fair share of books, but nothing compared to what the Hamilton's had. It was like an actual library, and it always fascinated her. "Feel free to read whatever you'd like, Theodosia." Theo's eyes lit up as she made her way over to the many filled bookcases.

   Alexander watched as Theo scanned the shelves. Surprisingly, Alexander was the only reader in the family, so having Theodosia as a guest was a welcomed surprise. Theo could feel Alexander's eyes on her as she selected a book from the shelf. "Thank you, Mr. Hamilton." Theo took a seat on the sofa.

"Theodosia, if you can call my wife Eliza, you can call me Alexander." Theo smiled softly at the man, cracking her book open. This was definitely a story for Philip later today. The two sat there for an hour, Theo reading and Alexander working. It was about noon when Alexander spoke again. "Theodosia?" Theo peered up from her book, meeting his eyes. "Are you staying for lunch?"

   Theo closed the book and placed it on her lap. "If you'll have me." Alexander nodded, getting up from the desk where he was seated. "Thank you, Mr... Alexander. Thank you, Alexander." The man smiled at the girl before he went off into the kitchen to prepare lunch.

   Theo insisted on helping, but Alexander wouldn't allow it. "You're the guest. I can handle a little bit of lunch." So the girl went back to her spot on the sofa until Alexander called her in. There were two bowls of salad on the table. "This was the best I could do. As you probably know, Eliza does the cooking in this house."

The girl let a small laugh slip as she sat down at the table. "This is wonderful, thank you." They ate in silence, but it was nice. After they finished, Alexander collected the bowls and placed them on the counter.

"Now, has your father decided yet?" Alexander asked the girl as he sat back down at the table. Theo looked over at the man with a puzzled expression on her face, not sure on what he was talking about.

"Can you elaborate, sir?" For a man of many, many words, he definitely wasn't clear enough, although she had a hunch. Theo's stomach felt like her stomach was tied up in knots. Oh god.

"The marriage proposal. What are your father's thoughts on that?" Yes, she was right. Theo didn't know that Alexander knew. Philip didn't know that Alexander knew either. Eliza knew, though, because she was the one who had told him in the first place.

   "You know about that?" She asked, half because she wanted to know how, the other half was Theo just dodging the initial question. Alexander nodded.

   "Eliza told me." Of course she did.

   "Well, he said that he'd think about it, so I'm hoping for a good result." She informed him. "A good result being his approval, of course." Alexander nodded. "I'd really like his approval. I really do love your son."

   "My son is my greatest pride and joy. I'm just lucky that he fell for an intelligent, classy, and kind young woman like yourself." Theo smiled brightly at the man. "I mean, you're also a Burr, but I'm working past that." Alexander said with a little laugh. "Besides, when you marry Philip, you'll be a Hamilton then."

   "It almost sounds too good to be true." Theo told him. Her eyes gazed over to a clock. "Oh, goodness. I really should be getting home now." Theo stood and Alexander escorted her to the door, helping her put on her jacket. "Thank you for having me, Alexander. Sorry if I caused any issues." She said, referring to his work schedule.

   "You quite possibly be my future daughter-in-law, Theodosia. It's no issue at all." After bidding their goodbyes, Theo quickly ran out into the snow, feeling good about her ties to the Hamilton family.

—————
We've had a chapter with a little Philip and Aaron bonding so I figured I'd write one with Theo and Alexander!

Thank you all for reading. I appreciate feedback, as usual. I love you all! Thank you for your support and have a wonderful day.