Chapter II

Chapter II:

Mother Knows Best,
Father's Trying His Best

Philip ran home that day, letting his excitement run wild. He quickly made his way up the front steps of him childhood home, bursting through the door and dashing towards the kitchen. "Mum!" Philip hollered at the woman seated at the kitchen table. The woman looked up from her letter and beamed at her eldest son.

"Hello Philip. My, what has you in such a good mood? I haven't seen you this excited since you were accepted to Kings." Eliza Schuyler Hamilton adored all her children, but she adored Philip a bit more than the rest, though she would never, ever admit it. After pulling out that chair and sitting in it backwards, which his mother hated, he grabbed her hand gently.

"Guess who I saw at the market today?" Eliza opened her mouth but her son didn't actually give her time to guess before he spoke again. "Theodosia Burr!" His face lit up just letting her name roll off his tongue. Eliza grinned widely  at the thought of her late best friend's daughter. She had always adored the little Burr girl, just like she would one of her own children.

"That's wonderful, Philip! Did you recognize her? I haven't seen her in months." Eliza said, now thinking of the last time she had seen Theodosia. It was a run in outside the library in town. Theodosia loved to read.

"We didn't recognize each other at first, but she definitely looked familiar. Once I heard her speak, I knew it was her. She speaks so eloquently, like she always has. She looks different now though." Eliza giggled.

"Philip, she was ten years old the last time you saw her, she's grown, matured and began to become a young woman! Of course she's changed. She's a fairly pretty girl, don't you think so?"

"Fairly pretty? Try extremely pretty. I don't ever remember her being pretty." Philip said, running his fingers through his long, thick curls.

Philip managed to get another giggle out of his mother. "It sounds like you have a crush on Theodosia Burr to me."

The boy leaned back. "What? A crush on Theo? No! I can just appreciate attractive people, such as her and myself." Eliza smiled sweetly at her son.

"You're so much like your father it catches me off guard sometimes." Eliza stood, folding up her letter. She made her way to the doorframe into the living room. "Philip?" The young man looked up at his mother. "Mother knows best."

The curly haired boy let out a loud groan. "I don't have a crush on Theodosia Burr!"

—————

   Theodosia Burr wasn't sure if she wanted to share her reunion with Philip, especially to her father. Yes, she was overjoyed that she had got to see him again, but she wasn't quite sure her father would feel the same way. As soon as Theo skipped into the library in her home, she met her father's gaze. "I thought you were going to the market."

   Theo made her way to her own desk and sat down at it, prepping herself to write a letter for Philip. "I did."

   Aaron Burr arched an eyebrow, turning to look at the young woman who had his eyes. "You didn't bring anything back with you."

   Oh, right. That why she went, or at least that's what she told her father. "Oh, I guess I got distracted." She shrugged, gathering the things she needed to being writing. Aaron stood from his seat and stood behind his daughter as she wrote, placing a comforting hand on her shoulder.