Killer Betrayals chapter 18

^^^^For continuing to encourage me! Love you mom!!! :D

Anna’s POV

Fuming I stomped my way into my house, attempting to slam the door in Reece’s face at the same time.  Unfortunately for me the guy had fast reflexes and caught it just in time.  Holding back a growl of pure frustration I sent a glare behind me, “Don’t think I’m actually allowing this to happen. Out. Now.” I ranted while pointing at my now closed door.

“Sorry, no can do.  Orders, you know?” A smug smile spread across his face, further enraging me.

“We’ll see about that.  I can take care of myself, now kindly turn your smug ass around and hit bricks,” I said the last with a sickening, sugary sweet fake ass smile, all the while trying not to grind my teeth together in the process.

“What? Now you’re checking out my ass?  Nice isn’t it?  I work out a lot,” he replied while looking behind him as though trying to see his own ass. 

What a dumbass…  I was racking my mind trying to figure out why I was ever even remotely attracted to him when his gaze met mine.  Ahhh… There it was.  Pure animal attraction based on looks.  I guess I could deal with that.  I could overcome that as long as I didn’t actually start to like him.  I let out a soft snort at the thought.  Like that was going to happen.  Smug bastard.

Making my way to the kitchen I grabbed the home line and dialed up my Lieutenant.  I was going to put an end to this madness now.  After several rings, that caused me to grab at my hair in frustration I finally heard someone pick up on the other end.

“Lieutenant Davis speaking.”

“Hello sir, this is Anna.  I’d like to talk to you abo-“ I was abruptly cut off.

“Anna! How are you?  Is Reece there with you?  If not I’ll have his balls on a platter.  He better be taking care of you, we can’t have something happening to you again.  We need to find out who attacked you and why.  You know you’re like a daughter to me, and I won’t see you being hurt again.” 

When there was finally a pause in his long winded spiel I broke in, only softening my attitude slightly at the thought of him thinking of me as a daughter.  I ignored the warm glow that gave me and plowed full on ahead.

“Sir, thank you for your concern, I really do appreciate it.  This just isn’t going to work though.  You see-,” and I was cut off again.  I grabbed a fistful of hair and tugged in aggravation.  I was so irritated it was all I could do to not scream at the situation.  How had I gotten myself into this?  Oh yeah, someone got the jump on my ass.  Oh well, no use in berating myself now, I had bigger issues at the moment.

“Anna this isn’t a request, this is an order.  You will not fight me on this.  Deal with it like a mature adult.  I can’t have you out there worrying about who might be after you when I need you to be in top form to perform your job up to standards. Am I making myself clear?” He asked in a tone that left no more room for argument. 

“Just one question sir.  Why him? Out of everyone else…why him?” I couldn’t help the hint of desperation that tinged my tone.

I could sense of softening in his tone when he replied, “Because he offered.  You know we have limited funding Anna.  I couldn’t do this and be able to pay for it.  The request would have been ignored if not straight out laughed at.  I’m sorry, but until I feel you are able to perform the job well with everything going on, or until we catch who did this I just can’t risk you out on the streets.  You’re under too much stress, and it would only be a matter of time until that led to a mistake.  One that could potentially harm you or someone else, I wish it could be different but it just can’t.  Not now at least.”