Chapter 10

Chapter Ten

Twelve hours!?!” Nagülan was flabbergasted. “We are not in the United States, pup! It only takes eight hours to get to Paris from the mountains! France is bigger than most people think but, it is not that big.” Nagülan shook his head after glaring at the wolf. Can this wolf be trusted? Nagülan asked Dane.

They were all gathered around the first vehicle, Sithari standing a little separate from the others as she maintained contact with Gaea. Dane felt guilty. Crap, he had not thought of that. He has not lied to me and seemed genuine when I asked him about opposing the Alpha. Dane thought back.

Well, this might be a bad omen. How the hell are you going to overcome such stupidity if the rest of the pack is like this young one? Nagülan was glaring at the young wolf again.

Dane shook his head. He had no idea how it was going to work.

“Well, why would it take so long for the that wolf to bring back the girl, then?” the young wolf asked.

Sithari answered. “They are walking. Actually, one of the wolves who found her is carrying her.”

Upon Dane's growl, Nagülan asked, “Would you rather she walk?”

Sithari spoke up again. “She seems to be in pain. It is much less than before. Etienne wielding a whip flashes through her mind occasionally.”

Both Dane and Nagülan made noises of discontent at that revelation.

“I think there had been another wolf with them before. The one who is carrying Deva killed him, throwing him to a bear. Deva trusts the wolf she is with and she tried to talk him out of taking her back to Etienne. Apparently, the alpha has his wife and she is human.” Sithari turned towards Dane, “This fucking alpha is a piece of work. You better fucking kill him. Is he not the strongest and wealthiest wolf in North America?”

“Yes, and he has the most political power as well. More than the Monarchy the Europeans sent to rule the continent as well as the Highest over here.”

“The Highest? What's that?” Dane asked. This was the first he was hearing of any sort of hierarchy outside of the packs.

“The Highest is the ruling alpha. He is located here in Europe. The only reason he is still king of kings is because our city's alpha has never gone over to challenge him. He was planning on going in a couple of years but, he wanted an edge. Your little girl popped up just in time to be that edge. Alpha was planning on buying her from Etienne so he could get power from her.” the eldest of the assimilated wolves stated, the one that was most reliable and was stationed in Nagülan's truck.

“Power how,” Dane's voice had dropped an octave in his anger. He had a suspicion. He just didn't want to think about it.

“Sex with a wood nymph always adds a little bit of power to her partner. It is what usually keeps the relationship pure. However, lately it has not been enough. And the power is miniscule compared to that of deflowering her. Consequently, after marrying and deflowering a wood nymph, if there is no love in the relationship, the husband leaves taking unbound mates.” Nagülan said as an aside to Dane.

“Then how in the world do the nymphs even reproduce?”

Nagülan smiled. “The nymphs take lovers. I had a nymph lover once. She was spectacular. However, she and her husband got back together and I have not seen her since.”

Sithari stiffened.

Dane narrowed his eyes. “Who!”

“It was not Deva, my friend. It was her mother.” Nagülan clapped his hand on Dane's shoulder, looking deeply into his eyes.

Widening his eyes, Dane was shocked. “Are you ... ?”

“Yes, Deva is my daughter. You should know this. Mating with a nymph will only bring you daughters. You will have no male heirs.”

“She said that the two of us could never have children. That we were too incompatible.” Dane felt stunned.

Nagülan laughed. “Wood nymphs are the most fertile of all the nymphs. I would not be surprised if you did not impregnate her that night!” He slapped Dane on his back as if in congratulations.

Dane felt the blood drain from his head.

Nagülan walked to the vehicle's glove compartment box and pulled out a map. “Now, let us take a look at the map and you, young pup, can tell us where we are supposed to go.”

__________________________________

The alpha was looking at Etienne but, his alpha brain was occupied with the communications with one of his betas. It was the one he, the alpha, had sent out directly to the local wood nymph's abode. They had found the girl; and she had been tied up to a bed. So, the scum was going to rape her. Eh, the alpha would have done the same. However, she was unable to travel quickly because of all the wounds from the beatings she claimed that the warlock had laid on her. On top of that, the girl was pregnant. So, the bastard was trying to sell the alpha, damaged goods. And if the child was the warlock's, he certainly would try to keep it instead of trying to pawn it and the girl off onto the alpha.

The alpha was upset. Maybe the alpha, should kill this damn warlock. Then the alpha wouldn't have to pay anything for the girl. The alpha liked this idea.

The alpha remembered Etienne's mansion back home. There was a fair amount of woods surrounding the place. He, the alpha, could always use more land. The alpha knew the warlock was powerful. But, if the alpha could sneak in under the warlock's radar maybe the little twerp could be overcome. The alpha began pulling his men together. There would be some blood spilled and the alpha did not want any to be his own alpha blood. As far as the child ..., eh, it could always be aborted. Or, the alpha might find a use for it in another way.