Chapter 9

A/N: The end is nigh.

___________________________________________

Chapter Nine

Deva felt herself awakened by a dousing of cold water. She looked up only to see the nasty smirk of Gerard. His blue, blue eyes narrowed in his own version of humor. Deva felt her heart sink. She could see the lust and greed of the man–boy standing in front of her. She tried to move away and cover herself from his gaze but found that her hands and feet were bound once again, spreading her out for his view. Despair was beginning to take over her emotions. Would the bear know that she was gone? Would he follow her scent? A bear's sense of smell was the greatest of all land mammals, many times greater than that of wolves. If anyone could find her it would be the bear. She only hoped the bear would know that she was in distress and would fight for her, even if she was not the wood nymph of his forest. Would he go against this wood nymph?

Gerard had the ultimate cockiness. Deva could see he felt he was in total control. Something had changed within her, maybe it was the beatings that Etienne had given her but, she was feeling some anger at her mistreatment. How dare these thickheaded males treat her so poorly. But the despair began to creep back as she was brought back to her predicament.

Gerard was mumbling something in French, it was too low and too garbled for her understanding. But, every now and again an English word (or at least English sounding word) was distinguishable, mostly the word 'slut'. This made her angry. She had only slept with one person. A person of her choosing! She had searched far and wide for the best man she could find. A good man. A monster. The best man of them all. Danerus.

There was rustling outside that made Gerard stop moving.

“Fuck.” Well he knew some English after all.

Gerard went to the wall opposite where Deva was lying tied up in a . . . was this a bed? She wanted to look around but the noises outside held her attention. Then she saw Gerard pull out a big gun, a gun! Would he kill one of the creatures he was supposed to protect? What kind of wood nymph was he? Gaia should know about this!

The door rattled.

Deva closed her eyes to form a line of communication with the Earth Goddess. She could feel the connection forming, her body heating from the power needed. When she felt the Goddess she opened her eyes and focused on Gerard.

Just then the door burst open and in stepped two large man-wolves. The largest one grabbed the gun Gerard was holding pulling Gerard towards him. Then he swiftly broke Gerard's neck. The smaller one moved towards Deva with lascivious eyes. The larger wolfman growled at the smaller one. In seconds they both shifted back to complete men.

“Untie her,” the larger man said.

That one was definitely North American.

“We could have some fun first.” The smaller man was looking at Deva once again. Deva was startled by the words but did not fail to note that he was also North American.