Chapter 6

Chapter Six

Dane looked around at the private landing strip/airport. It was dead. Well, it looked dead. Nagülan had told him there were wolves here. But, no living animal could be seen. Yet he could smell them, the wolves. It was faint, so very faint.

Dane stood within the opening to the plane hiding in the shadows, not stepping onto the roll-away stairs that had been sidled up to the small jet. How did the stairs get there? Dane turned to look back at Nagülan. The elf's words slipped into Dane's head. Majik. Etienne must have worked a spell.

The stairs rolled up by magic?

No, majik covered the men who rolled the stairs to the jet. Nagülan let out a huff.

Rolling his eyes, Dane looked back down at the tarmac. There is nothing here but buildings and plants. Dane pushed the thought into the elf's mind. But, I can smell wolves. Just a slight smell.

The majik must be strong, to even eliminate the majority of the smell. They are here, I assure you. Nagülan pushed back.

Dane nodded. He knew they were. It was none of the physical senses that was telling him. Instead it was his head, his sense of the wolves' thoughts, that surrounded the plane. But how did the elf know?

I have my ways pup. Gotta keep a few treats up my sleeve. Nagülan smirked at Dane.

Dane snorted. Damn haughty fae. And wasn't that tricks up the sleeve? Was he implying that he, a wolf, worked for treats? Another snort earned him a deep chuckle in his head.

Dane just closed his eyes and let his mind expand. He pushed farther and farther out. Ten wolves total. Ten! Well, what was the alpha expecting, armageddon? It was just him and the elf. Had that moronic little wolf that the elf had spared gotten back to the alpha after all? He had not seen it, so the little weasel must have reported back while he and the elf were with the sisters. But, how did the alpha know that it was he, Dane, that had followed him here to France?

He located all the wolves and sent the information to the elf. Couldn't the elf do this, too?

You have a better alignment with the wolves. Your brain waves are closer to theirs. It is easier for you than for me. Nagülan sent to Dane.

Dane raised his eyebrows. Was the elf admitting to a disadvantage? A weakness?

He heard a snort behind him. It is not a weakness to not think like a damn wolf.

Dane chuckled. He liked being able to get under the elf's skin. It was a first, maybe the last but, he could enjoy it now. And me? I'm a wolf.

You are better. You have received a precious gift.

So the elf knew about it. Well, fuck. Dane wondered how the elf knew as he swept through the minds of the seven wolves on the ground and the three hiding in the building. Fools. Should have tried throwing all ten at once at him. They would have stood a better chance.