Annabeth XXXIX (continued)

“I hate you.” Annabeth was clenching her teeth so tightly she didn’t even notice herself biting on her own tongue, she could taste a metallic savour in her mouth. “What do you want him for?” 

“That’s none of your business.” 

“Of course it’s my business, he’s my boyfriend!” 

“It’s something between him and me that you would never understand. Now shut up or I’ll kill him along with the members of camp.” 

Annabeth glared at Gaia with her most deadly stare. If only looks could kill. 

“Now go find him. Wouldn’t want Miss Mclean and Mr Grace falling into hell this time, would you?” 

Annabeth slowly walked to the infirmary and silently pushed the poor open. 

“Percy?” she could feel her own voice cracking. “You awake?” 

No answer. 

Oh gods, she thought. Did Gaia do something to Percy? 

“Percy?” Tears of terror were forming in Annabeth’s eyes. “Percy? Wake up!” 

“Wha…” Percy yawned groggily. “What’s up, Wise Gal?” 

Annabeth let out a sigh of relief. 

“Can you come out for a minute?” 

“Annabeth.” Percy raised an eyebrow. “Morphine is connected to my veins and my heart is beating with the help of a weird big box, and I breath through a mask! How the heck can I walk out of the infirmary like this?” 

“I know, Percy, but this is an emergency!” The tears that Annabeth were holding back rolled down her cheeks. “Oh crud, I’m crying again… Just, I dunno. Find some way to… just, come out, would you? Argh, it’s all my fault. I’m so sorry Percy , I shouldn’t cry in front of you…” 

“Hey, hey, it’s okay.” Percy almost immediately sat up (using all his effort to do so) and put his hands on Annabeth’s face, using a thumb to wipe off the droplet on her cheek. “I’ll come out. No hard feelings, okay?” 

Annabeth smiled sadly as she helped Percy pull off the morphine supply and detach those tubes and mechanical wires from Percy’s body. Percy groaned as he stood up on the ground. 

“You okay?” Annabeth immediately asked. “It’s just for a while. I promise. If she doesn’t let you get into the infirmary in ten minutes I’m gonna force her to let you in.” 

“Who’s she?” 

Annabeth frowned sadly. 

“Gaia. She wants to talk to you. If you don’t, the whole camp’s gonna die. Again.” 

Percy sucked in a deep breath. 

“Got it.” 

As they walked out of the door, Annabeth couldn’t help noticing the scowl on Percy’s face when he saw that woman. 

“Hello, Perseus.” Gaia said, with a huge strained smile on her face. “You look well. Better than I thought.” 

Annabeth was resisting the urge to shove a dagger into Gaia’s stomach.

“Oh, thank you.” Percy replied sarcastically. “Now, what’s the big deal of pulling me out of bed?” 

“I just wanted to tell you something. No biggie.” 

“Well, you can tell me whatever you wanted to say later. I need to get back to my morphine.” Annabeth saw Percy wince slightly when he tried to stretch his limbs. 

“It’s too important to wait. The life of camp lies on your hands, unfortunately, once again.” 

Percy raised an eyebrow. 

“Annabeth, where are the camp members now?” Annabeth gulped. 

“Er…” 

“They’re sinking into the Earth. As far as I know, one of your friends is at the brink of meeting Hades.” 

Percy’s eyes widened, but he was determined not to let Gaia see his shock and fear. 

“Well, then. Tell me now.” 

“Can Miss Annabeth leave for a moment please?” 

Annabeth glared daggers at Gaia. 

“Why?” Annabeth asked in a dangerous voice. 

“Like I said, it’s none of your business.” 

“Can’t she stay?” Percy tried to help. 

Gaia raised an eyebrow. 

“Your camp in in my hands now, I advice you to listen to my orders.” 

Annabeth clenched her fists. 

“Fine.” She walked away, and observed the two at a distance. 

Annabeth was shocked when Gaia gripped Percy’s hand as soon as she walked away. She was equally shocked when Percy winced in pain at Gaia’s touch. She fought the urge to run over to Gaia and give her a fulfilling punch in the face. 

However, Percy gave her a don’t-do-it look when she started to walk in his direction. 

Gaia whispered something into Percy’s ear, and his face immediately paled. Gaia smirked as she said something to Percy, and Annabeth only caught the words: It. Again. Not. Annabeth. In which Annabeth had no way of connecting the pieces together. 

But the only thing Annabeth knew was that after Gaia told Percy about this, Percy fainted onto the ground. 

“PERCY!” Annabeth screamed. She immediately ran to Percy’s side, and Gaia was laughing. 

“What did you do? WHAT DID YOU DO TO HIM?” Annabeth shouted angrily. Gaia smirked. 

“He fainted himself. Out of shock, I suppose.” 

“What did you tell him?” Annabeth asked, a little softly. 

“Nothing that you should know. I wouldn’t like a daughter of Athena plotting a way to wreck my plans, would I?” Annabeth took in a deep breath. Keep calm. She put Percy’s arm around her own neck and pulled him up, staggering to the infirmary. 

“You’ve talked to him. Now let the camp go.” 

“I already have.” Gaia replied. Annabeth let out a sigh of relief. However, she couldn’t help feeling suspicious. 

“Now leave.” Annabeth said. “Please.” Gaia crossed her arms. 

“It’s my right, leaving or staying. Not for you to choose. But, I’ll leave. I suppose this would make you feel slightly more comfortable.” Annabeth didn’t reply. The earth started shaking. “I advice you to keep an eye on your boyfriend though. Never know what would happen, would you? And, don’t worry. The camp members know that Hazel Levesque is innocent. You know, in the Travis Stoll incident. Everyone thought she was the culprit, didn’t they? Stupid demigods. I knew they were never bright.” 

“Yes, we get your point, now leave!” Gaia’s words was putting Annabeth on edge. What did she mean? Keep an eye on her boyfriend? It’s not like he would do something stupid, would he? 

Would he? 

Gaia tutted. “Athena children just never listen to advice. So long, Annabeth. I know I’ll see you soon.” 

Gaia disappeared. 

AN: Personally, I didn't really like this chapter, but, oh well. I guess... @girlofdemeter said it was okay. I had wanted to add a bad word to the chapter, but @girlofdemeter said it wasn't my style, so, I didn't. :D Remember to comment! :) It would mean so SO much to me :D Love you all! Thank you for reading! Oh, and, it isn't the end yet. Well, technically it is, but there is an epilogue, so please keep tuned for updates! :D Thank you so much for supporting! xx