Chapter Eighteen

“Harry, is that you?!”

Gemma stares wide-eyed at Harry, who’s standing in the doorway of her home. He smiles wide, that same smile and dimples that she always remembered shining brightly on his face at the mere age of 16.

“The one and only,” he responds, giggling under his breath at how hilarious he finds himself. Gemma rolls her eyes with a fond smile, the silly statement reminding her that she really did miss Harry’s dumb jokes, even though they aren’t even funny.

“God, it’s been what, two years? I’ve missed you so much, ever since you left when mum . . . ” She trails off in a whisper, wrapping her arms around Harry and hugging him in replace of her unspoken words.

It goes completely quiet, and Harry can only mumble back a quiet yeah, both hugging each other just a bit tighter. They pull apart, Gemma wiping the corners of her eyes as she sniffles, waving her hand in the air dismissively.

“How ‘bout a cuppa, yeah? We can sit down and have a chat.”

So Gemma makes the teas in silence, the two sitting down in the living room near the fireplace. Harry takes a long sip before setting his cup down to talk.

“Well, where should I start?” he asks, shaking his head lightly. “I guess I should tell you that I uh, found someone special.” He can feel the heat rush to his cheeks almost as quickly as the words leave his mouth.

“Oh, yeah? Who’s the special someone?”

He clears his throat and takes another drink, adjusting the frame of his glasses nervously. “Um, his name is Niall.”

“Niall, huh? Is he cute? What does he look like?”

Harry laughs at his sister’s eagerness and how easily she’s taking it all in. It’s the reason why she was the first one he came out to, the secret kept between the two until Harry felt comfortable enough to tell any others.

Harry takes out his phone and pulls up a picture of Niall – the one he had took of him randomly when he wasn’t looking at him. It was his favorite picture of Niall, the lighting in it giving him an almost angelic glow, his smile wide and genuine and his eyes crinkling in the corners and it just screams NiallNiallNiall. Gemma looks and coos under her breath, glancing back up and giving Harry thumbs up.

“Gotta say, you made a great choice there,” she says, winking. “Wait, is that a tattoo on his arm?”

“He kinda has a lot of tattoos,” Harry says sheepishly, toying with the four-leaf clover pendant attached to the necklace dangling around his neck. “And a few piercings.”