Chapter Twenty-Four

AUTHOR'S NOTE: I was getting bored with the old cover for this book so I decided to make a brand new one (with my newly developed editing skills). And I did not forget about Gwiliweth and Faramir ;) Oh..and there is some... um.. PG-13 lemon (only before the *cough* no actual *cough cough*) during this chapter... just warning any viewers that might be... startled while reading or against any... thing... like that. Although I hope you enjoy this chapter! :D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~Chapter Twenty-Four~

A New Dawn Brings New Beginnings

The echoes of army of the West cheers bounced off the dark mountains ringing around the battle shaped as a horseshoe. The landscape continued to crumble taking Sauron's army as merely a thousand orcs barely make their escape as they sprint away from their fallen lands. The men continued to rally their spirits as they witness the Black Gates collapsing into the abyss pit.

Merry in his moment of relief held his dagger high with a joyful smile, "Frodo! Frodo!"

The men of Rohan and Gondor continued to cheer until they see red lava shoot high into the sky, blowing parts of the mountain in all directions. The company could only helplessly watch as Mount Doom explodes and their faces turn solemn, the reason for their misery is clear. It's plain to see that Frodo and Sam can never survive the cataclysm. They watch with teary eyes as the remaining Nazgul get struck by flaming rocks given off from the eruption.

Although no one out of the company was as broken spiritually then the bent over figure holding another figure closely in its arms far away from the army of men. A broken-hearted Elf lost himself in a attack of sobs as he held the only woman that he ever loved so dearly and truly. His head rested against her still warm forehead as salty tears stream down his dirt-stained cheeks in sorrow.

Plip.

Plip.

His sorrowful tears fell just under her closed lids that trickle down her soft cheeks, making its way through dirt and blood smears along her chin. His hand was still pressed against her wound, staining his skin bright red. Although he cradled his true love in his arms, she was gone from the world and his. His other half, his soul mate, had passed on to the heavens. It was so far away and it nearly severed his heart to think of. One side of him still lingered, lived, and breathed. The other half perished along with the she-elf so limply laying in his shaking arms.

Unknown to the Elf, the already sadden company silently made their way to his mourning form. Their eyes lowered to the black stone ground as they saw the state of the very composed Legolas who now uncontrollably wept.

Pippin and Merry hung their heads low, being the second most hurt of this tragedy. They silently placed the blame on themselves for not retrieving Legolas sooner or finding Medlinya in trouble earlier than they did.

Tears trickled down Gandalf's face as he stared at the limp she-elf that could easily been a daughter to him. His memories took him back to the day he met her. How her sapphire eyes stared at him, trying to make sense of why his ears were not pointed as her was and whether or not she could trust him. How small she stood compared to him when she was only a small elf-ling. How she crawled out of the safety of the pit in the tree, clutching her swords so close to her. Gandalf then remembered the moments in the Old Forest as he taught her how to control her powers and watched her grow.

Gimli silently lift his helmet off his head and knelt down before the two elves bearing unbearable sadness for Legolas and for the lifeless she-elf in the Elf's arms. The dwarf owed a lot to Medlinya. She had been the only elf in his entire existence that treated him like an equal. She was moved out of her way to comfort him when Gimli was in his distress in Moria.