Chapter Nineteen

AUTHOR'S NOTE: Just as I promised, here's the next chapter! I'll get the next chapter up and ready as soon as I can... That is if I don't stop eating this amazing banana bread :D ... Oh banana bread you make my tummy oh so happy. Anyway.... To the STORY and Yay for more Legolas and Medlinya :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~Chapter Ninteen~

The Men of the White Mountain

The sun hung high above the dusty, eerie canyon of the White Mountains. Giant grey walls of the rocky mountain path loomed over the company of four. No life of plants embraced itself along the trail. A barren wasteland. Aragorn lead the company, mounted on Brego with Gimli just behind the Ranger scoping the view carefully. Legolas and Medlinya, riding on Arod followed silently behind Aragorn also examining the strangeness of the air. Making their up a gloomy canyon, shadowed by black fir trees. The dimmed ridges of the Dwimorberg tower before them. A spooky place, indeed.

Gimli's eyes flicker around him uneasily, "What kind of army would linger in such a place?"

"One that is cursed." Legolas replied as his cerulean eyes observed every rock and tree. The she-elf behind the Prince stared at the back of his head, awaiting an explanation. "Long ago the Men of the Mountain swore an oath to the last king of Gondor, to come to his aid, to fight. But when the time came, when Gondor's need was dire, they fled, vanishing into the darkness of the mountain. And so Isildur cursed them, never to rest, until they had fulfilled their pledge."

Silence surrounds them, there are no birds and no wind. Only the ominously muffled thud of their horse's hooves on the dark fir-needles.

Suddenly, Legolas' voice echoed off the grey rock walls of the White Mountains. His voice was not the normal soft and friendly tone. It sounded as if he was possessed by a darker power.

A breathy strange voice. 

"Who shall call them from the grey twilight?

The forgotten people.

The heir of him to whom the oath they swore.

From the north shall he come.

Need shall drive him.

He shall pass the door to the Paths of the Dead."

Medlinya shifted uncomfortably as Legolas' strange words reached her sharp hear. Although Legolas did not seem unnerved by his sudden change of voice. As if it never happened. Her sapphire eyes spotted Gimli and Aragorn ahead of them. They too proceeded normally. 

Her mouth gaped at this revelation. What had she heard? Who had replicated her Faenod's voice for her to only hear. Swallowing her trembling fear, Medlinya held onto her Legolas tightly. Sensing this new strengthen hold, the Elf Prince immediately knew something had troubled Medlinya. Everytime something distresses her thoughts, her grip on him grows strong. 

'What do you sense, Aier?' [Short one]

Her sapphire eyes flickered to the slightly turned face of Legolas, watching her worriedly. 'I swear I heard your voice. Though you did not say what I heard.' Medlinya explained before she opened her thoughts to what had transpired just a minute before. 

In response, Legolas' expression darkened in confusion. He could not help but wonder, how his Faenod can experience such strange things when he cannot. She saw the ancient black magic swirling around the mountain a day before and now she hears his own voice saying something he physically did not say. What devilry is aiming their interest to his Medlinya? Perhaps the Dimholt Men's curse was, from his knowledge, extremely powerful. Sauron had not ventured his armies here so the Men living in the White Mountain was the only suspect.