Chapter Nine

~Chapter Nine~

The Battle of Helm's Deep

The sun rose bringing light to the mesh of campsites of the Rohirrim refugees. The journey to Helm's Deep continued on, the usual talkative two elves traveled strangely quiet on Arod. Medlinya sensed something off about the land there were marching through the rolling hills of West Emnet.

"Legolas?" she whispered, as the she-elf heedfully scanned her surroundings.

"Mani naa ta?" the Elf murmured, also feeling uneasy. [What is it?]

"I do not like this particular land. Something is wrong with it." she answered with a tinge of fear.

"A threat is at breaths range." Legolas agreed, inspecting the land with his keen blue eyes.

The two guards, Gamling and Hama, ride to the front to scout ahead. Legolas and Medlinya carefully watched the guards as they passed by. The guards disappeared up over the crest of the hill beside a higher cliff beside.

A few seconds later, a blood-curdling growl resounded from the hill. "Wargs!" Gamling cried. Legolas immediately sprung off Arod, sprinting to the guards with his bow and arrow at the ready. Medlinya hastily dropped to the ground and chased after the Elf.

Once she sprinted over the crest of the hill her eyes were meet with the sight of death. Hama had been viciously mauled torn to pieces laying beside his lifeless horse. A goblin had been killed by a dagger wound who was laying close by to a dead monstrous wolf-like creature with a arrow sticking out from its course hide. Legolas sharply turned to Aragorn, who standing beside Medlinya. "A scout!"

King Theoden called up to Aragorn from the bottom of the hill, "What is it? What do you see?"

Aragorn came into sight of Theoden as he began to sprint down the hill, "We are under attack!." Hearing the alarm, the villagers start to panic and cry in fear. "Get them out of here!" the Ranger warned breathlessly.

The composed King turned to his people, "All riders to the head of the column!"

Gimli struggled to mount onto Arod, "Come on, get me up here, I'm a rider! Argh!" Eventually, the Dwarf soon was helped onto the horse.

~

Legolas and Medlinya turned their attention to the landscape, in the distance many warg-riders were coming fast towards them, kicking up dust trails as they approached. The she-elf turned her attention to the Elf beside her, "I will help Eowyn lead the villagers." she stated unafraid. Medlinya wanted to stay and fight but the lives of the women and children were in grave danger. The men can handle themselves. Her hand gripped Legolas' shoulder, "Tira ten' rashwe." the she-elf whispered, before running off down the hill to the refugees. [Be careful]

The Elf left standing there, smiled warmly not only from her words but her concern for his well being. The warmness of her hand lingered on his shoulder making him beam even more, "Uuma dela, A'maelamin." he murmured into the wind. [Don't worry, my beloved.]

~

Theoden glances over to Eowyn, "You must lead the people to Helm's Deep. And make haste!"

The woman stood her ground, boldly staring at him, "I can fight!" she declared.

"No! You must do this... for me." Theoden pleaded to the woman with a tinge of distress.

They hold their gaze for a moment before Eowyn turned to attend to the villagers. Medlinya soon joins her with a bow of her head.

The riders gather around the King, "Follow me! Yah!" Theoden takes off on his trusty steed over the hill, followed by a long throng of his warriors.