Chapter Twenty-Three

AUTHOR'S NOTE: Just as I promised! Here is the next chapter!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~Chapter Twenty-Three~

 The Weakest Point

Gandalf stands in the gleaming white tower hall, seemingly alone as he speaks with doubt and fear at the edge of his voice. "Frodo has passed beyond my sight. The darkness is deepening."

The wizard turns and crosses the hall towards Gimli, Aragorn, Legolas, Medlinya, and Eomer. The Ranger had his arms crossed with his back turned from the worried wizard, "If Sauron had the Ring we would know it."

Gandalf spun towards the mellow Aragorn still worried and troubled. "It's only a matter of time. He has suffered a defeat, yes, but behind the walls of Mordor our enemy is regrouping."

The dwarf sits insolently on the steward's throne with his legs propped up on the arm of the chair, puffing on a pipe."Let him stay there. Let him rot!" Gimli voiced with venom of hatred in his gruff voice. "Why should we care?"

Gandalf slowly wheeled around to the Dwarf as his face ashen, "Because ten thousand Orcs now stand between Frodo and Mount Doom." Gimli's face immediately fell in troubling thoughts of the lack of this knowledge. Gandalf's eyes turned pale as he mumbled to himself, "I've sent him to his death."

Aragorn immediately turned around to the wizard, "No." Gandalf sharply spotted the Ranger. There's still hope for Frodo. He needs time, and safe passage across the Plains of Gorgoroth. We can give him that."

"How?" Gimli's voiced echoed as he held his pipe close to his lips.

"Draw out Sauron's armies. Empty his lands. Then we gather our full strength and march on the Black Gate."

At those plans, Gimli choked on his pipe as Eomer steps into the conversation. "We cannot achieve victory through strength of arms."

"Not for ourselves, but we can give Frodo his chance if we keep Sauron's Eye fixed upon us. Keep him blind to all else that moves." Aragorn glanced over to Legolas with a smile.

Legolas' eyes brightened at his revelation along with a smile, "A diversion."

Gandalf stepped closer to Aragorn, "Sauron will suspect a trap. He will not take the bait."

Aragorn grinned, "Oh, I think he will."

"Certainty of death. Small chance of success. What are we waiting for?" Gimli's voice echoed throughout the hall. 

As the room emptied, Medlinya swallowed another biting fear as the tension of another battle approaches them swiftly set in into her mind. Legolas caught the sight of his Faenod stiffened of which is very unlike her character. Deep down he wished that she could in any possible way to stay behind in Minas Tirith while he fights at Death's gate, but it is together they stay. As his eyes studied her silent form, he gently swept a hair out of her face before her eyes met his. Her sapphire eyes were flooded with fear that nearly had the power to drown Legolas in guilt and sorrow of her condition. However his expression remained confident and smiling down at her, relieving some of the terror.

Gently he placed his forehead against hers before closing his eyes in content of her skin touching his. "Uuma dela, Melamin." [Don't worry, my love.] His eyes fluttered open to stare into her sapphire orbs, "I will protect you, no matter what." He breathed, only her ears could catch his sentimental words that made her heart lurch heavenward.

A smile, a true one, formed on her small pink lips as she stared into the eyes of her lover. "I know."

Legolas flickered between her eyes then to her lips. All of those past moments when they came so close to kissing was ruined by intruders or unfortunate bystanders. Unleashing this passion, the sands of time seemed to slowed as their lips captured each other in urgency of the time and battle they should be preparing for. Their hearts thumped rhythmically beats against their chest as their love for the other was poured into every movement of their lips in perfect harmony. In attempt to keep her stand as her knees became weak beneath her, she threw her arms around his neck. His soft yet strong calloused fingers combed through her almond brown hair, holding her face tenderly. The corners of both of their lips curved into a loving smile as their soft flesh welcomed the warmth of the other. A roaring fire passion filled the two elves that took over their ultimate fears of the upcoming battle. With one last harmonious movement of their lips, they slowly pulled apart although only a few millimeters. The two smiled at each other, through their fits of catching their breaths. Twinkles in their eyes told the other of their happiness and love for the other.