Chapter 33

Coming off stage with Camila, I was still on a high after that amazing performance. My heart was fluttering when we walked backstage to my dressing room. The band and crew walked in as well and started packing everything up, because we would have to leave for the airport right after. Before we did, I wanted to do something special and asked everyone to stop for a minute. As soon as I had everyone’s attention in the room, my assistant was already passing out the glasses of champagne while I was standing in the middle of the room with one arm around Camila.

“That was an incredible show tonight and I think, it’s only appropriate we have a glass of champagne when we’re leaving Paris”, I said and looked around at everyone. “This was a special night and we all know why. I also know, I am not the only who wished Camila was joining us permanently and let us enjoy being in her wonderful presence at all times. Unfortunately, that’s not in the cards but I think we should toast to a perfect day and a great show. This is to all of you guys, for making this possible and to Camila, for being here with us. Cheers!”

Looking into the many happy faces was filling me with so much joy and pride. It was genuinely a blessing to be working with all of them and I wanted to show that as much as I could. There was one flawless face that I paid most attention to. Camila smiled throughout the entire speech and kissed my cheek before drinking from her glass. I only took a little sip and looked into the deep chocolate eyes. How on earth was I supposed to leave when she looked at me like that? At least we were going to the airport together. She’d go back to Miami and I was heading to South America; which would be mayhem. The fans there were crazy but I loved them just because of it.

As of right now, I wanted to savor every minute I had with Camila. When everyone started packing up again, we headed to the small limousine my management insisted I used. Settling on the leather seats, I didn’t waste any time and handed Camila an envelope. She looked confused.

“I have another little surprise”, I said with a grin. “Open it.”

The younger woman’s excitement was evident on her face and I loved seeing her like this. When she opened the envelop, her eyes were wide and obviously bewildered.

“What? I thought you weren’t going to go because of the tour?”

“That’s what I wanted you think so it would be a surprise”, I explained and saw her smiling widely. I had given her ticket to the American Music Awards next weekend. “So, are you going to be my date?”

“Of course”, she answered with no hesitation and pulled me in for a big kiss. I was nominated at the award show for all the important categories and I had some before. But the competition this year was very stiff. Although we were in different music genres, the person most people pitted me up against, was none other than Camila’s good friend Ariana Grande. For some reason, I had never found a real connection to the slightly older singer. In hindsight, I knew I was jealous of her friendship with Camila but even in the past couple of years, we stayed professional but distant.

“Oh my God, I can’t wait. This means I’m going to see you in a week”, Camila said after the kiss and I nodded.

“I know, I’m really excited”, I admitted and kissed her lips once more.

“You know”, the light-haired one began and gently stroked my cheek. “I haven’t told you how proud I am of you lately. That’s because I was so scared of you slipping away but being on stage with you tonight, I understand why you love it so much. I would never want you to give that up because I see how happy it makes you. And I am insanely proud of everything you’ve accomplished.”

There was a little lump in my throat hearing this. She really hadn’t told me that in a while and it was the best validation of my work I could ask for; much better than any award.