Chapter 2

As soon as my mind had run through my memory of that particular night, I snapped back to the present.

“I’m sorry, but I have to take this”, Camila said, glancing at her cell phone.

“Sure, take it”, I replied and watched her slowly walk a few steps away from me.

This was the perfect time to finally gain some sort of poise back. I took in a few deep breaths and calmed my nerves. Hearing the song, threw me for a complete loop but everything else before that as well. Camila was here. In my dressing room. And she was dating a woman! A very hot one of course but I tried to suppress whatever feeling of jealousy started to build.

My piercing green eyes slowly studied the confidant woman on the opposite side of the room. She wasn’t facing me at the moment so I was able to really see how much she had changed physically. Her hair was a lot lighter than it used to be actually. At first I didn’t even notice but now that my head wasn’t spinning anymore, I was able to appreciate her transformation. She had always been pretty but now she was…stunning.

Her complexion was flawless with a light tan and her style was still impeccable. The tight jeans hugged her figure perfectly and I couldn’t help but notice how well it accentuated her butt. I immediately smirked internally when I found myself checking her out shamelessly. But who wouldn’t? Everyone does it, right? Her ruffled top was simple but elegant, just like the beige blazer she wore on top of it. My eyes wandered along her seemingly endless legs again before I heard her speak again.

“Sorry, I don’t mean to be rude but that was my mom. She told me to say hi to you”, the younger woman addressed me while coming closer.

As soon as I heard her mention her mom my face lit up. We used to have a very good relationship although my friendship with Camila had been extremely…complicated at times.

“Aww, tell her I say Hi as well. How is she doing?”, I asked casually but then saw Camila’s face tighten up for the first time since she had entered my dressing room.

“She’s…doing better. Uhm…she’s in remission actually. She had been diagnosed with breast cancer but she’s fine now.”

My heart honestly cramped up. I could not believe that the beautiful woman in front of me had been going through such hardship and I had no idea. Yes, our friendship did not end on a good note but I felt incredibly guilty in this moment for not ever reaching out.

“I’m so sorry, Camila. Please, tell her that I am happy to hear that she’s doing better. And if there’s anything I can do-“, I said genuinely before I was cut off.

“It’s ok, Lauren. Really, she’s fine. But I’ll tell her.”

It was painfully obvious that she did not want to go any further with that discussion and I certainly didn’t want to force her.

“I should probably go and let you rest”, Camila said and finally smiled again. Even if it was a softer smile than before, I was relieved to see that our conversation hadn’t gone sour.

“Actually, I’m not going to rest at all”, I laughed and saw her bewildered face. “I’m throwing a little after party at my house because I have two whole days off. You are more than welcome to join us. I mean, you and Hanna.”

It was the first time I mentioned Hanna and wanted to make clear that I had been listening before. I must have looked like an idiot but I was determined to make things right. Not giving her a chance to decline right away, I pulled out a piece of paper and wrote down my address and number.

“If you decide to be spontaneous once more today”, I said with a little grin und gave her the little piece of paper.

“I can’t make any promises. But it was really good to see you, Lauren”, she replied and I could hear the sincerity in her voice.