14: Of Love and Secrets

BANG!

The table nearly cracked in half at the impact of Masons fist against its surface, “Alec, you’re fucking up again.”

This time Mason was serious, Alec could tell from the jumping vein in his jaw that he meant business. So what? Alec swiveled around in his chair until he came to a halt in front of Mason, the older man pressed his palms against the plastic arm rest and bellowed, “Are you listening to me!”

His young cousin shrugged and leaned into his chair as if nothing were wrong. He had 99 problems and a pansy bitch like Mason wasn’t one of them. He had things to think about, like his shitty job trying to change up his hours, Aria showing up at his house every other night like a Succubus waiting for her fill, sweet damning Seraphina batting her eyelashes at him, Taylor running away from him every time he turned the corner and…..Mara…being Mara.

No, do you hear me Bitch?

But he couldn’t say that, not to his alpha, he would say it to his cousin, but his alpha?

Not in his lifetime.

He chuckled a bit at the morbid joke and turned his eyes to the side as Mason hovered over him with flaring nostrils and breath acrid enough to kill the dead again.

Outside Mason’s elaborate cabin the beginnings of snow began to drop from the sky like light white flakes of dandruff, that’s what it looked like to Alec anyway. If he could, he would have caught one in his hand and preserved it just like that until he could present it as a gift to Mara. Chicks liked sappy crap like that, but she didn’t. Even so the flakes fell against Masons uncurtained windows and dotted the green grass in lieu of its white Christmas…a Christmas he would once agains celebrate without his mother.

Hot breath hit against his face once more and he rolled his eyes and inhaled in exasperation, “Yes sir, I hear you.”

“Where. Is. She?”

Who?

Mason sounded like a broken record, the alcove library darkened merely by the bookshelves echoed his words, Where.Is.She?

Unnecessary candles lit merely for the satisfaction of the Missus flickered though no wind chanced to arouse its flames.

I.Don’t.Know, Alec rehearsed within himself as he closed his eyes and exhaled gently into Mason’s face. The older man stiffened and cursed under his breath, “Alec damnit, you keep it up and I’ll forget that we’re related. I don’t give a damn who your mother was, you keep that witchcraft shit to yourself.”

But it was a part of him, like his breath, like his hair, like his eyes. He felt the surge of energy everytime he breathed in, it was like, like…..fire…..like ice….like the complete extreme of some wild and untamable power that he had. How could he keep that to himself and be a selfish fool not to share it with everyone else.

Still, Alec smiled to himself and shushed Mason, “Shh, Shh, don’t want the wife to hear do you?”

Because she would just love oh so much to know what her husband was really capable of, wouldn’t she also love to know that Mason, the Alpha, was related to a mutt? A hybrid?

“You have one more tim—“

“Shhh,” Alec flicked his index finger and pressed it against his lips as he leant back and closed his eyes in rest. Mason didn’t scare him, his position did, “You’re so sure I did away with her aren’t you?”

Because Alec is always the bad one right?

With a chuckle and an exhalation of breath he opened his eyes and smirked at his cousin, “Are you sure you didn’t do away with her?”