11: Raging Emotions

“I swear baby you’ll thank me for this later.” Allyn rambled along as she fluffed the new pillows on her sons couch, he’d been in his apartment for over two weeks and still hadn’t arranged it as he should have. She pushed the long flap of red hair hanging in her face behind her right ear and patted the pillow a few more times before standing up, “There’s plenty of girls out there Blaise. Trust me, what about Stephanie? Are you two well?”

Blaise sank deeper into the misplaced computer chair and groaned, Allyn knew well enough that the pair had been broken up for months, and that she had did the breaking up. Besides, she hadn’t liked Stephanie to begin with for more reasons than one; the girl was too preppy, her enthusiasm for the dark arts went to far and as far as Allyn knew, she was a whore and deserved to be treated as such. She was trying her best to ease his rapidly growing irritation at not being able to see Mara.

Sure she was a sweet girl on the occasion that Allyn had spoken to her, she was rather quiet and nice all around but she was spoken for. She’d been spoken for the minute her mother gave birth to her in that cold alley behind Chez. If anything it was Mara Blaise should feel sorry for and not himself, Allyn noted with a slight frown.

He bit the tip of his thumb, sunk his square teeth into the soft flesh as he bluntly ignored the ill help of his mother.

“If you’re going to sit there and mope over a girl you barely know at least give me a reason why she was so special that you chose to disobey me.”

“Her heart, its pretty.”

With all seriousness he said the words, bit into his thumb and eyed the wall across from him as if it had committed a great wrong. He said a lot of unintelligible things lately, it came with being told for the first time in your life that someone was off limits for good.

The room lightened as Allyn chuckled and settled into the couch she had fixed just before. The setting sun threw a few more lines of orange and yellow light as she reached over to her left to turn the lamp on for more light, “That doesn’t make any sense Son. Explain to me how you could possibly describe her using words fit for a five year old?”

A tightness filled his chest, he rubbed a hand across the stubble on his face and sighed, “I can’t explain it. How did you feel when you first met Dad?”

Instead of answering Allyn shook her head and rose from the couch, “Snap out of it Blaise. It doesn’t look good for our community to have you mourning over a girl that was never yours to begin with. I warned you didn’t I? Didn’t Alec show you what he would do if you ever attempted to get that close to her again. He’s not one to underestimate.”

He squeezed his eyes and took a deep breath, “I know.”

He just wished that he had listened to begin with.

_____________________________________________________________________

It had been awhile since she had felt this loathsome and distraught. No amount of pep talks from Andrea or cookies and cream ice-cream could change the fact that she felt like she had been tossed away.

Mara pressed her forehead against the cool window in her bedroom and sighed heavily. She took her hands and pressed the light things against the cool glass as the wintry sun cast its light over the dim blue hue that clothed the day. She loved moments like those, watching the color change as the seasons slipped from one to the other, sometimes even meshing themselves into one if only for a day.

And she also hated them, because those were the times she felt the most alone. Melancholy happiness, that’s what she called it as she smiled through the pain tearing at her chest and the blurry film of liquid forming over her eyes. Outside her window the evergreens swayed from a gust of wind whipping through the woods, just as the birds, black and brown swirled in the air like a hurricane until they flew off, arrow style.