9: TheLink

Under a tree a few minutes away from Clarisse’s home Mara and Blaise sat cross legged among the dry leaves and cold air. While Mara shivered in just her shorts and top Blaise played with fire, turning his hands this way and that to enlarge the flame until it became a ball of red orange and yellow licking from all sides.

“Better?”

She was, Mara noted with begrudging relief that she was considerably warmer. She’d just wished that he would have found a more conventional way to rid her of the cold. Blaise looked all the more threatening behind the ball of licking flames, his ginger hair glossed under the glow, just as the bristles of hair growing on his cheeks chins and the sparse hairs just above his top lip.

Still Mara wasn’t exactly sure about his use of magic outside where any wandering person could catch them. Weren’t there rules for magic? Certainly there had to be.

“Could you…..” She fought to verbalize her concerns without seeming too prude, seeing her discomfort Blaise smiled and twirled the fire on the tip of his hand as if it were a basketball. With prowess and concentration she could possibly never achieve he tossed the ball in the air, “……stop that?” Mara completed as she stared at the air bound fire with a look of concern.

Blaise chuckled as he leaned his head back and watched the ball fall. Mara screamed just across from him as he opened his mouth wide and closed his eyes.

He’s not, he won’t.

Singed leaves fell around them as the ball made its way back down with a force likened to the comet that ended all of dinosaur kind. The source of light, orange and red with an eery white halo tunneled into a thin long tube.

“Blaise DON’T!” Mara leapt forward to push him away from the flames, her knees dug into the crisp leaves, broken branches and moist soil as her arms reached for his body.

But it was too late, with his mouth opened and eyes closed Blaise braced himself against the earth as he took the fire in his mouth. Mara pressed up against the tree, grabbed at her pale brown legs and watched in horror as Blaise glowed.

In his own place and time Blaise relaxed as the fire filled him, energy he himself had created and now took in with delight. It had taken practice to perform the trick as safely as he could, but he’d managed. Now as he sat hot energy flowing through him like toasty heat from the vent in his old car he sighed inwardly. It felt good, the complete opposite of how it looked.

How would he be able to describe the sensation to her? It was like a warm apple pie followed by a cup of scorching hot chocolate. It just felt good, amazing even, almost like sex….

Hell no, he thought as he basked in the heat.

It was all too easy to sense her fear, to see her though his eyes weren’t opened. He imagined the frightened girl pressed against the tree, soft palm against her mouth as her chest heaved up and down, up and down as she struggled to understand what would drive him to this sort of madness. She didn’t know him…..yet, he would make sure that she did.

As the last of the heat settled evenly into every crack of his body as his Chakras calmed he came back to reality. He shook his head, red curls swirled around his face before they settled back unevenly. He blinked away the thin layer of film covering his eyes, flexed his arms and smiled at Mara, “Like that don’t you?”

She scoffed at the now barely visible boy and scuffled to her feet. If she’d known that Blaise could be that big of a jerk she never would have left her house! How could he just sit there and swallow fire without letting her know that he would be ok?

“Asshole.” She attempted to kick at his leg as she steadied herself against the tree, but she ended up kicking empty cold air nearly losing her balance in the process.