Chapter one

Rachel

  "Oh goody! It's my birthday!" I say sarcastically to myself. 

 Today is my eighteen'th birthday. I have officially been with my birth father for fourteen years. After my adoptive parents died, they made me promise to find my family and I did but. They've been abusing me for fourteen years. I felt like Cinderella, but without the happy ending. 

 "Maid! Come and get my dirty clothes! And then take the kids clothes, wash them up, and get breakfast ready! We don't have all day!" I get up off the floor, which is my bed. I shake the dirt out of my clothes, which is like a sheet. I pray everyday for a miracle, but so far nothing. 

  I dream of my mate, I was wanting to see him. He would make my miserable life, go away. He would become my protector, my Love, and my prince charming. I get to meet my mate tonight! Everyone meets their mate at age eighteen. At least all the girls.

 I did the chores, with a certain skip. They didn't comment, they just want the job done. When they left for school, I didn't mind. I just started singing, my guy, by Mary wells. 

"Nothing you could say
Can tear me away from my guy
Nothing you could do
'Cause I'm stuck like glue to my guy

I'm stickin' to my guy
Like a stamp to a letter
Like the birds of a feather
We stick together
I'm tellin' you from the start
I can't be torn apart from my guy

Nothing you can do
Could make me untrue to my guy
Nothing you could buy
Could make me tell a lie to my guy

I gave my guy my word of honor
To be faithful and I'm gonna
You best be believing
I won't be deceiving my guy

As a matter of opinion I think he's tops
My opinion is he's the cream of the crop
As a matter of taste to be exact
He's my ideal as a matter of fact

No muscle bound man
Could take my hand from my guy
No handsome face
Could ever take the place of my guy
He may not be a movie star
But when it comes to being happy we are
There's not a man today
Who could take me away from my guy

No muscle bound man
Could take my hand from my guy
No handsome face
Could ever take the place of my guy
He may not be a movie star
But when it comes to being happy we are
There's not a man today
Who could take me away from my guy

There's not a man today
Who could take me away from my guy
(Tell me more)
There's not a man today
Who could take me away from my guy"

 I kept singing every love song, and smiling all day long. As I did the list of chores, my wicked step-mother gave me. She would have been a loving mother if it wasn't the fact I was the oldest. Therefore I would be the one who'd become the second in command. 

 I do think I'm pretty, just not beautiful. I got tired of the remarks, and quit school. I was probably around eight. I was never fat, but I was teased. They called me things like fat cow, and pig. Then they would say things about my mate. They would say he'd have to be blind, or no one is going to want you! Your useless!

 But today, nothing they can say will make my mood change. I kept cleaning, and then when I was all done. I went to my secret hide out, and shifted. My light brown fur, turned dark with years, and the black more pronounced. I took a run, and finally got to go back to my little pack of wild wolves. I was met by a male. "Who are you." His body signaled. 

"Where's Patch?" I signaled, ignoring his question.

"Why?"

"He is my pack brother, and I finally escaped from my mother, and wanted to see him." I was getting agitated.

 A spark entered his eyes. "Oh! Miss Stream. I am sorry, I didn't recognize you. I am Patch's son. River. Named after his dead brother. Come I have sad news, and you might like to be with the family."

 A bad feeling entered my stomach, and I followed him. I guess, they didn't have to say anything, I can make my own birthday miserable. We walk away, and I don't notice a familiar face. I began to shed tears. River sit's beside a white wolf, and he howls. I notice only nine wolf member's come over. "Before I tell you, I want to introduce you to your neice's and nephew's."

 I look at each one, and silent tears leaked out. Three of them step forward, and he introduce's them. "These are Pansy's and Scar's pups. Tulip, is the grey one. Rose is the shy grey, and Pounce is the black and brown one." 

 They step back, and three more walk up, I smile a bit. "These are Willow and Fang's pups. Red is the red male, you can see where he got his name. Thistle, is the white and purple wolf, and Palm is the shy brown one."

 They step back and the other three, plus River step forward. "We are the pups of Patch, and Luna. I am River, the smart brown, and white one. Luka is the grey and white one. Star is the silver wolf, and Petal, is the light grey one."

 After that, they all stood, and gathered close. Then they all surrounded me, the warm welcoming I got compared to the cold greetings I get at home. "Stream, My father, you brother, my Aunt's and your sister's have passed on to the almighty creator."

 I fall over, an anguished howl coming from my muzzle. I'll never see my family again. I'll never get to tell them how much I love them. I was used and abused so much I never got to leave the house. When I get my Mate I will make sure we visit with my little neice's and nephew's. I sniffle. "I have to go, or my family will punish me again." They lick my face, and walk with me to the boarder.

 I run for it, tears leaking from my eyes. I keep running until I hit my hide out. I whimper, my heart hurting, and cracking. I hear a branch snap, and I whip my head around. Standing on the other side of the lake is a big black Wolf. He can't see me, but he looked so regal. Which means he's an Alpha. He walks to the water, and takes a drink. He lays down blending in the with the shadows. 

 He blended so much I didn't see him, and slowly walked to my side of the lake, and took a drink. I heard two different sets of paws come running. But it was to late, and my parents saw me. My dad growled, and my step-mom, pinned me to the ground. "You'r in so much trouble girl."

I can't breath. She's cutting off my circulation, and then Dad wraps his jaws around my throat. I wiggle trying to get free, and only succeeded in him tightening his jaws. Blood seeps from my wounds, and I surrender. "What did I do?" I managed to wheeze out.

"You didn't clean the girls's dresses, and you left the house!" I cried out in pain.

 They left me there on the ground broken and bleeding. I tried to get up, and fell right back down. I closed my eyes, and I heard paw steps. Strong male paw steps. I peek my eyes open, and saw a dark brown wolf, with hard green eyes. He bent down and picked me up. lovely sparks shoot through my body. "Your my mate." I whisper as I pass out.