Into the Light: VA fan fiction

Chapter 1

  The dream started out pleasant. It was Dimitri whispering my nickname when he was feeling affectionate. " Roza...Roza." He smiled. Then we did my favorite thing in the world. His soft lips pressed against mine. I groaned happily pressing my body against his. "Rose." Every muscle froze. It couldn't be but it was. "Mason." I breathed. He stared his eyes filled with pity. Mason slowly looked behind him and there was the others. I knew what this meant... Death was coming.

I woke up sweating I just couldn't breathe. Mason was warning me of death. I shot up and ran to Lissa's room. " Her majesty is asleep. What is the meaning of this?"  The guardian on watch demanded. " I need to see her immediately."  I gave him the fierce Rose Hathaway glare. " Rose?"  Lissa groaned sleepily. " Its quite alright, thank you Guardian Melps." She dismissed. I ran inside almost knocking her over. " Rose, what's wrong?" She came over and sat beside me on the bed. "Its Mason, he's warning me again..." I trailed off. "  Rose. How can that be you lost your connection to the shadow realm when our bond died?" She looked concerned. I gave her a crooked smile that didn't reach my eyes. " Are you an expert on the shadow realm? When did you decided on changing your major?" I teased but my heart wasn't in it. " Do you know what the warning was?" I looked away. " I've cheated death multiple times but this time they're waiting for me. I won't be able to cheat it s third time." I watched her pale and pull me in for a hug. " Did you tell Dimitri?" It was her way of asking about Christian she didn't want to be selfish and change the horrifying subject. " Yeah, yestetday. Christain will be returning to the courts. Um, they are having a trial for Tasha." I was treading on murky water. " I know but Rose, I'll make sure she never sees light again." That's what I wish she said instead... " Rose, she's knows what she did is wrong. We have to give her a fair trial." My eyes darkened. " You mean murdering the Queen having me framed and almost put to death is wrong? What about almost shooting you- Actually shooting me! " I snapped. " Rose-"  I cut her off. " Save the Queen talk for some other time. I'm your best friend god dammit!" We stayed quiet both looking at the floor. " Rose, its late you should get some sleep. And Rose I'm not going to give you up we are going to die together someday, promise?" I smiled dispite the fight. " I promise. Sometimes I miss hearing your thoughts."

  The morning light came quick. I got dressed to meet Lissa for her morning classes at Leigh. Today Dimitri will be returning that brightened my mood up just a tad. Mason's face was engraved in my head along with them.. I quickly ran to Lissa's dorm Jill was smiling warmly at her door. " Morning, Rose!"  She smiled cheerfully to cheerfully. I nodded moodily her way in acknowledgement. Hoping she'd catch on to my mood. " Jailbait. T-Rex." I rolled my eyes playfully. " Yeah, bring me any meatloaf?" I snickered. "Typical, Rose. No hello just worried she missed free food." I silently flipped him off. " My Miss Hathaway this is not lady like behavior." I sensed Dimitri behind me. " Somebody has to wear the pants." I shrugged. I turned to face Dimitri my smile widened." Why hello, handsome." He chuckled heavily and returned the smile. Our eyes met promising so much more. " Oh he gets the hello..."  Christian muttered. " Bite me." He bit at me. " Don't tempt me Hathaway." Lissa finally opened the door and ran smack into Christian. " Oh, I'm sorry- Christian?" Her cheeks flushed bringing our her lovely eyes. "We just got back for you know Aunt Tasha's trial." He avoided her eyes and glanced back at us. " That and Rose would have my head." Changing the subject. "Damn straight." In truth they haven't talked in a couple of months since he broke up with her. She'd never admit it but she cried for weeks over him. As Queen she had to move on and become stronger. " Rose and I'll be leaving here soon to meet up with the judge. Christain, I'm sorry about your aunt." She added meeting his eyes. " Me too." He said softly. "Me too."