Chapter 2

Wednesday Morning
I walk into school, eating my chocolate poptart. I'm always late, but somehow this morning I got it together and I don't look that bad. It feels almost as if I needed to look good for something today but I don't know what it is.

The warning bell rings as I bolt to my first period class, World History. I sit down in my usual seat, by the window away from everybody because none of my friends are in this class.

Our teacher, Mrs. Harmon, starts lecturing about the Roman Empire and the advances they had made and blah blah blah, I'm not listening. All of a sudden, the principal, Mr. Holm walks into our room and goes to make an announcement.

"As some of you know, we are getting a new student today. His name is Philip Shea." He then turns to Mrs. Harmon and proceeds to talk to her about Philip's situation and how she will have him this period. I turn my head and see a tall, dark-haired boy standing in the doorway. Wow, he is handsome. Very handsome. He doesn't look scared to be here, in a new school in the middle of the year. However, something does seem to be wrong.

He turns his head and catches me staring at him. Mr. Holm walks back over to him and pats him on the back. He turns around to walk out the door behind Mr. Holm, but not before he gives me the slightest of smirks.

What was that for?

After what seems like forever, the bell finally rings. And that means I get to go to art class and see my beautiful girlfriend Rose.

I'm walking into the art when someone backs into me. "Hey! Watch where you're- oh sorry. You're Philip right? The new kid?" I ask him, like I didn't study his every feature when he was standing in the doorway last period. Like how I didn't notice his strong jawline, or the way his eyes twinkle even though you can tell something is wrong behind his big brown eyes, or the way his lips go to one side when he smirks, or how- "Hey! Are you even listening to me?" laughs Philip.

"Yeah, yeah sorry. I just thought I saw something over there. What were you saying?"

He looks at me in a very weird way before he says, "I said it's okay. I'm just not used to this school yet. What's your name?"

"Lukas."

"Ah, well, hello Lukas. I'm Philip."

"I know. You kinda got introduced to the whole class." I say as I chuckle.

He looks away and his smile goes away to somewhere unknown.

"Yeah, see you around I guess," and he starts to walk away, but not before I grab his arm and pull him back.

"Hey, how about we exchange numbers and maybe we could hang out this weekend? I could show you around town?"

His smile starts to take back it's place, "Yeah, I'd like that." He gives me his phone number, and I give him mine.

"See ya around."

Wednesday Evening
Church just started, and I don't see Helen, Gabe, or Philip anywhere. I'm starting to get worried because I didn't see him at school anymore after our encounter in the art room.

About halfway through the service, I hear the door in the back creak open and in walk the three that were missing. Silently, they slid into the back pew, not wanting to disturb anybody.

I turn back around and try to pay attention to my father, who is preaching about how love is between a man and a woman.

Here he goes again with the 'no homosexuality' speech.

I keep wondering to myself, "Why does this bother me so much?"

After we said our closing prayer, everybody got up and started to walk around to talk to one another, or the kids ran outside to play on the jungle gym. Out of the corner of my eye I see Philip walk towards me.

"So everybody in this town goes to this church? Are there no more churches here?"

"I guess not. How are you?"

He looks uncomfortable, did I cross a line? "I'm okay I guess. Still getting used to all of this. This isn't like the city at all."

"No. It's a lot more quiet out here. And more trees too."

"You're kidding," he laughs.

I blush and stare at my feet. Why am I blushing at something someone who I've known for a day said to me? "Anyways..."

Philip looks around for Helen and Gabe, I assume. He spots them over by the door talking to Jeremy and Anna, Tommy's parents. Tommy is behind them with his girlfriend, Tracy.

"Well, I guess I better go over there to see if they're ready. I'll see you at school tomorrow," states Philip. He reaches out to shake my hand. I take his hand in mine and firmly shake it, but I get a weird, almost butterfly-like, feeling in the pit of my stomach. He releases my hand and looks at me. Then in one swift movement, he turns around and is over by his foster parents.

What the heck was that feeling. I've never gotten that when I have hugged Rose, or even kissed her for that matter.

I see my mom over by the door talking to her sister, aunt Mary to me. Aunt Mary smiles at her and they exchange hugs before Aunt Mary walks out the door. I walk over to my mother to see if she's ready to go home. Dad has to stay here at the church to work on some things.

"Hey mom, you ready?"

"Yeah Lukas, I'm ready. Let's go home and eat."

___________________________
I hope you all enjoyed this chapter! I'm trying to get as many chapters as I can published to there is not just one. Let me know what you think. Comment, vote, and recommend. Please and thank you!
xx Addison