Chapter 1

It was Sunday morning, and Lukas sat in the front pew of the church he grew up in, the church his father preached at. He wasn't really paying attention at this moment because his father was preaching about homosexuality, and Lukas got very uncomfortable with that subject for a reason he couldn't quite put his finger on. He looked around the small, but cozy church and saw many familiar faces: Rose, his girlfriend, and Rose's mom, his friend Tommy, the town sheriff Helen and her husband, Gabe. All of these people he grew up around but he felt like he didn't know them at all.

When he looked up again, he didn't realize that it was already time to go home. He walked out front to the steps of the church and stood beside his mother, Sally, and his father, Bo. As the people walked by to go to their cars, the three of them shook of their hands.

"So I hear you two are going to be fostering a boy soon," states his father talking to Helen and Gabe.

"Yes, we are. In fact, he should be here on Wednesday, so we can bring him to church with us. Hopefully he'll feel up to it and can meet some people," Gabe says without hesitation.

"Well, whoever he is, I hope he reads the word of God and lives his life for Him." And with that, Gabe and Helen walked out to their car.

They're fostering a boy? I wonder how old he is. Maybe we could be friends.

Everybody had soon gotten to their cars and drove off. Finally it was time to go home and relax until the service tonight.

Sunday Evening
The church was packed, as usual. Nobody in this town ever missed a church service.

To Lukas' surprise, his father didn't have much to say that night, so the service was finished rather quickly. The talk of Helen and Gabe fostering a son quickly got spread around. Apparently, he is from the city and his mother was a drug addict. That's all everybody really knows. I hear steps going up to the microphone at the front of the church. I turn around to see Helen and Gabe standing up there.

"As most of you all know by now, me and Gabe are going to be fostering a son. He is coming in on Wednesday, therefore we will be bringing him to the service that night. He has had a very rough life as far as we can tell, so we ask you to please make him feel welcome and safe. He is 16 years old and his name is Philip. Philip Shea. Thank you," Helen concludes her little speech and steps off the podium.

Philip Shea.

The name ran through my mind a thousand times. I wonder what he will look like. What his interests are. What he is like.

Philip Shea.

___________________________

Hi! My name is Addison and this is my first book, so naturally I am very nervous to publish this. Please don't hesitate to leave comments (or recommend this to friends). I will try to update as much as I can, but yeah, I am looking forward to writing this book!