Reason Number 33

"She says nothing at all,

but simply stares upward into the dark sky and watches,

with sad eyes,

the slow dance of the infinite stars."

- Stardust, Neil Gaiman

"She's not responding to treatments. Her only option is a bone marrow transplant." The whole room became still that day. It's supposed to be my big day announcement of remission after completing those 8 cycles of dreaded "trial" medicines. Everything around us just stopped moving, no one can hear a thing, and it's as if breathing stopped the Moment they all knew that cancer is on its way to victory.

"The cancer cells are slowly spreading and is about to reach her heart and lungs."

"If she has that bone marrow thing, will that make her cancer free?" James asked his eyes mirrored resentment.

"There are risks, her immune system is weak, we have to strengthen it first before having the transplant and that is if we find her match." The doctor's words pierced through my heart like ten thousand knives stabbing me with every word. Just then my Dad lost it; he pounded his fist on the doctor's table, his neck veins pulsating visibly as if they're going to burst any minute.

"We don't have time left! That's what you told us if she still isn't on remission today! What are you all doing anyway?! You're all just sticking some trial medicines not knowing if it will help her or not! We agreed to do that because we thought that can save her. For all we know you're all just sitting there watching and waiting for her to die! My little girl for goodness sakes. You're making my little girl suffer."

"We're doing the best that we can sir..."

"Best?! Is this what you call the best that you can do?! Not once did you made her feel alive. I've seen her mask, her sickness and when I sneak up to her room I see her vomit all the time! I see her cry herself to sleep! I hear her pleading to God not to make her hurt so much! And you're telling me you're doing your best?" my Mom cried while she holds my father's arms trying to keep him from strangling the doctor.

"Dad, it's okay. It's not that I don't have any options left. It's not his fault that I have cancer, Dad. Nobody wished for me to have this, I accepted this disease long before the treatment started and I hope you do the same too. We should always believe Dad, we should always hope for the best."

My Dad surrendered and sat down his hands on his face, my Mom trying to comfort her and James just smiled as he held my hand. The morning after, my Mom, Dad, James, Stan, Aya, Cassidy, Enzo, Stephanie and Lee all went to the hospital to see if they can match my genetically abnormal cells.

"Why are you here?" Stan said to Enzo with a rather unfriendly tone. My Mom, Dad and James are all inside the laboratory now since they're my family. Aya, Cassidy, Enzo and Stephanie all ate at the cafeteria to "prepare for the big needle confrontation" so they say. So that leaves me with Stan and Enzo waiting in my room.