Chapter eleven: Making the Cut

After school, Floyd and I went to the auditorium for school football tryouts. At this school, tryouts happen near the end of the year instead of the beginning of the next. Coach Mason was standing at the head of the group.

There was an entire line up of students and some people were going to have to get cut from the team. Five members from football team were there too including Derrick, the co-captain, who hates me for dating Hillary. Stephen was the team captain who hates everyone, especially me.

We had to do something that resembles trials. The first test was running, catching and throwing and 'other things' the coach failed to elaborate. He told us even if you are the slowest runner; don't panic because you just probably fit somewhere else. We went out to the field and stretched.

The first thing he did was put us in groups with one current football player.

Floyd's group had some guys I don't know and I wasn't a part of his group, so I hoped we weren't competing or anything because I want in too. My life is just so damn chaotic, I need an anchor.

Stephen was the leader of that group and I also hoped that he doesn't just put Floyd on the team for his own sake, but lets him earn it.

The coach was assigning my team next. He looked at his clipboard and flipped a page.

"Isaac, you will be on Derrick's team."

He had no idea the trouble that may cause. As I walked over to Derrick, he gave a seriously hateful look. At that moment, I was glad he wasn't the wendigo. I shrugged my shoulders and exhaled softly.

Peachy.

"Jacob, Marcus, Jackson, Hunter, and Peter with those two." he listed pointing at us. They came over and gave a few quick stretches. I almost laughed knowing I didn't need to warm up like them.

I smelled someone familiar, but it was almost completely smothered in cologne. I didn't really stress over it because it was probably nothing. I played along with the rest of them and twisted my arm in a stretch in front of me and did a squat or two. Floyd gave me a dumb look from a couple feet away with his team. I shrugged my shoulders and smiled.

Our first task was to see who was the fastest and who could last longest for a stamina test. Other than Floyd and my team, there were three other teams. Two of the other groups went first and for some reason, I had butterflies. I couldn't help but to laugh at that.

"What are you joking about, Isaac?" Derrick demanded. "You better pay attention or you're going to be left behind in the dust."

"Heed your own advice." I warned. The odd scent came up again but was washed away as fast as it came by Ocean Spray underarm antiperspirant. Our team was up next and I felt the need to focus and mentally prepare like I needed it at all. I told myself to ease up because this should be easy. Good to know having powers didn't make me cocky.

The track was a half mile in a rounded square and we all took our positions in separate lanes. Derrick was right next to me and some kid with white hair was to my left.

The coach stood at the edge of the track and fired the blank.

I tried my best to match everyone else's speed when Derrick began to really haul ass and take off. I was so tempted to just burn him, but it might tip off that some sort of freak has called Oak Meadow High School his home. Sweet victory always comes from a sour fruit.

So instead, I just caught up to him and hovered right behind him. He saw that I was 'right on his heels' and he went faster. For a non-werewolf, he was indeed quite fast. His running poise looked like one of an Olympic champion with a straight back and his arms and legs were always squared. I didn't match that, but I didn't exactly need to.