Coming of Age -- Chapter 3

Hey everyone. Sorry it's been so long. I was gone for a few days so I've actually only been writing this for like 4 days plus I was going to upload yesterday, but my internet died. Well it's kind of long so I hope it makes up for it. Anyway thanks for reading. Comment, vote, fan. Enjoy!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

            I gripped onto the rough fabric of Aaron’s shirt. He looked down at me nervously. “Do not come out from behind this tree no matter what,” he mouthed to me with a stern look. I slowly nodded. He took a step sideways. I reached for him when I realized he was going to reveal himself, but it was too late. I silently cursed myself from being so stupid. How could he be so stupid? How could he just jump out in front of a Catcher? Either way, this Catcher was not going to touch him if I had anything to do with it. “What do you want, trash?” Aaron’s voice hissed.

            At this point, I wished I could at least see what was going on. I bit my lip nervously, but made no movement or sound. I heard the Catcher’s maniacal laugh. “Trash? You’re the trash that poisons the human society, witch. So, the big boy finally decides to show himself?” I heard something sharp being pulled from a belt, like a knife. I gasped and took a tiny peep of my head around the tree.

            The Catcher’s head swiveled and his eyes looked past Aaron to me. He suddenly erupted in laughter. Aaron twisted around quickly to meet my eyes, his widening. The Catcher just laughed, a knife in his hand, aimed at Aaron. “This is too good,” he muttered to himself. “You found your soul mate, huh? This is great.”

            Aaron’s eyes looked at me with fear before whipping back around and glaring at the Catcher. “Don’t talk about her,” he hissed, venom that I had never heard from him began to edge into his voice. I was taken back a little. I didn’t expect him to do that. The smirk just grew wider on the Catcher’s face as it contorted into an evil grin.

            He pointed the knife at Aaron’s chest and pulled it back. “Unless you want your soul mate dead, step out from behind the tree.” I looked over at Aaron. He was giving me a pleading look, telling me not to go. I gulped and took a shaky breath before stepping out from behind the tree. “Good girl,” he commented as if I was a dog. Aaron flicked his hand up and the knife flung out of the Catcher’s hand and stuck deeply into the bark of a tree behind him.

            The Catcher immediately swore and grabbed for a gun at his belt. I pushed my hand out towards him and he flew backwards. Aaron immediately was already running. I was standing completely still in shock. What had I just done? Aaron grabbed my wrist, roughly jerking me. My legs responded as I ran, trying to keep up with his pace, but it was hard in my dress and he was so fast. But my mind was still somewhere else, wondering how I had done that.

            Gunshots rang out through the forest, echoing. Aaron dove forward, bringing me down with him as bullets whizzed over our heads. I broke out of my trance and looked behind us. The Catcher was following us, a furious glint on his face as he gritted his teeth. He pointed the gun at us and shot. We quickly rolled out of the way. Aaron pointed a finger at the gun and then jerked his finger to the left. The gun jerked to the left in his hand, firing at a nearby tree.

            We scrambled to our feet. I ignored the pain from my knee hitting a rock as I ran, but I could tell I was getting tired by now. I wasn’t used to this life, running for my life. It was exhausting. Aaron seemed to notice me lagging a little. He mumbled a curse under his breath as he turned around. He stood face to face with the Catcher. The Catcher had already thrown a knife that was heading directly towards Aaron’s face. “No!” I screeched. I stuck my palm out and the knife stood frozen still in midair. I closed my palm into a fist and the knife crumpled as if it was paper, then fell to the ground. Aaron blinked in disbelief. I did too.