Twenty-Four.

Dear Jack,

                I will always have faith in you. Especially considering how good you have been to me recently. It just gives me so much confidence when you smile your quick, secret smile to me around school. It makes me feel dangerous, or something. And for that split second I know that you’re happy too, which is comforting. Most of the time I’m worried for you. People don’t give you the chance you deserve and it really sucks to observe. I wish people were friendlier. I wish I could just talk to you without worrying what people might say.

 You truly are amazing, Jack. I couldn’t believe it when you came round to see me the other day. One moment I was arguing with my brother, the next you were on my doorstep. I hope you weren’t in the middle of anything important. My brother was just being such a twat, y’know? You didn’t have to come round, but I’m glad you did.

 I really think that we should try to hang out more. Right now you and Thea are the only things that are keeping me going: I have so much coursework and all my usual family shit to deal with. It was nice to have a night off with you, just to relax and have some fun. I still can’t believe you’ve never played Arkham City before, though! Personally it’s my favourite game. I’ll keep giving you lessons, though, don’t you worry! Unless you don’t want me too, of course. You can always just say, y’know.

 Seeing as I can help you play games, I was wondering if you could help me with your running. I know it’s not like an equal trade or whatever, but since I quit the football and basketball teams because my grades were slipping I just feel really gross and unfit. It might sound a bit ‘forward’ for me to say it or whatever, but you’ve really changed a lot physically since you started running. Not that you were gross and unfit or anything, but you’re just a little slimmer now, I think. And it looks damn good, let me tell you.

 Sorry. I’ll restrain myself.

 I think you seem a bit more happier, too. Confident.

 Don’t go thinking you need to change- physically- though. You’re absolutely perfect, just the way you are. And before you started running.

 Okay, I’m gonna stop writing before I really embarrass myself…

                Love,
                Toby.