Twenty-One

Hello, Toby. Thank-you for meeting with me.

Sure, Jack.

 Look, can we just walk? It's kind of exposed here- I feel like people are watching us...

 Of course, Toby. Whatever you want.

 Okay. Here looks good, right?

 Yeah, I can't even hear the main road from here.

 It's strange, don't you think? That this forest is all surrounded by a busy road, and yet it's so cut off...

 I suppose. I'm sorry to be paranoid.

 It's fine. I understand.

 No, Jack, you don't. There's a slight problem...

 What is it?

Toby, what's wrong?

 Don't talk!

 Sorry, sorry! Write it, then! Tell me.

 My... brother found out that I'm gay.

 Oh... shit?

What happened?

 Well I- kind of told him.

Don't look at me like that, I know it's weird. Just... when all of my friends started saying shit about me hanging out with you... it really got to me. There I was, denying everything they were saying when they were only speaking the truth. All I want is to have the confidence to turn around and yell "Yes, I am gay!" but I can never muster up the courage.

 Is there something wrong with me?

Of course not, Toby.

There's nothing wrong with being gay, and there's nothing wrong with being afraid to announce it.

What's wrong is how other people treat the situation and react to it.

You're perfect.

 Thank-you.

So, how did you tell your brother?

 Oh right, yeah.

 So everything was really getting me down and I was crying, and all that. Lee came home from work and found me in a state and... I just couldn't lie to him anymore. So I told him.

He reacted pretty well but the awkward atmosphere that has always hung around my house has completely intensified, y'know?

 I understand.

 I'm so sorry that I've been avoiding you. I'm just scared about my dad and my friends... I just needed a little space.

 Honestly, Toby, it's okay.

So... are you done needing space? I mean, take all time you need and everything, I don't want to put pressure on you or whatever, it's just that

I'm done needing space, Jack. I do miss you.

Oh thank god!

 How have you been doing without me?

 Good. Not too bad, I guess.

 What was that?

 Huh?

 Your face, you just looked... is something wrong?

 No, I just missed you.

I know I can't pin all my hopes on you, and I know that one day we'll drift apart, but you're kind of my only friend, you know?

 We don't ever have to drift apart.

I'm here as long as you need me to be.

Thank-you.

Same here, of course.

Shall we head back? I'm freezing my tits off.

Okay, it is pretty cold.

Bye, Toby. Write soon.

You too, kid.