Five.

Dear Toby,

                When we were sat at the dinner table last night, my sister asked me if I knew you. She told me that her newest work colleague is your older brother- I think she said his name is Lee. I nodded when she asked if I knew you, but I frowned when she said you had a brother. I had always imagined you to be an only child. It made me remember that I don’t actually know you at all. The Toby that I know does not exist.

School is rather dull at the moment, in my opinion. Every lesson starts with a lecture about how the time will fly by and then we’ll be sitting our final exams… I probably wouldn’t mind the lectures so much if there was some variation between them; they are all simply the exact same combination of words which are the exact same combinations of twenty-six letters.

In each lesson we were given more and more revision materials; leaflets, text books, revision guides… So it was no surprise to me when my bag broke on my way to the cafeteria at lunch. The strap snapped due to all the weight and as it fell to the ground some books fell out. People in the corridor continued to brush past me, some laughed, and I sighed as I collected my stuff, as any lazy teenager would. I stood up and held my bag awkwardly as I started to walk away-

 “Excuse me,”

 I turned around to see you. I’m not going to lie, you made me jump. I think it showed. But anyway, you smiled at me and held out a book that I hadn’t noticed had escaped from my bag.

 “Don’t let these buggers run away- as annoying as they are to carry around, they can sometimes be helpful…”

I smiled.

 “D’you need any help with your bag?”

“No. Thanks.”

 “No problem. See you around.”

 And then you smiled, and I smiled, and you walked back to your friends. I’m telling you this because even though you were there, I think it’s important for you to see my world as I see it. Because then you understand and you know me. And maybe one day I’ll fully understand and know you too.

 Thank-you for helping me in that corridor. And for making me smile.

                Love,
                Jack.