Sixteen.

Dear Jack,

                I’m going to have a go at describing one of our events. It won’t be as good were it you who were writing this letter, but maybe if I do this you could give me some advice? Your letters flow so eloquently in a way that I don’t think mine ever will, but I’d like to give it a go all the same.

 So, today is Monday, and you came round my house on Saturday.

 When you got to my house it was cold out, and you were shivering despite the over-sized black hoodie you were wearing. Just to point it out, you were also wearing black skinny jeans and black trainers. I was wearing a grey t-shirt, black skinny jeans, no shoes but odd socks. I smiled at you and you returned this smile whilst thanking me for inviting you to my home. You turned to wave at your sister who had driven you, and I grabbed your hoodie and pulled you into the house.

 I don’t know if anyone has told you, but you give the best hugs. I’m not even joking. Better even than Thea, who had held the record before you. I don’t know what it is that makes your hugs so comforting, but it sure works for me.

 So, because nobody else was home, we went into the living room and watched some TV. My brother was at work, my dad was out of town, and we sat on the sofa and watched ‘Friends’. You didn’t say much, just smiled at me and laughed at the TV show. To be honest, I was watching you more than the show. You just look so perfect when you’re grinning and chuckling away.

 We watched the show for quite a while because the channel was hosting a marathon of it. After a while, though, we decided to go into the garden and jump on the trampoline. I liked that because it made you smile even more. You told me that your garden wasn’t big enough for a trampoline, and I felt bad. The thing is, you see, my family has always been very concerned with wealth and material possessions, and so I’ve always had everything a kid could dream of. None of that matters to me, though. I just don’t care about it.

 Oh hey, so you know those people that say things like “I’d give you the world if I could”? Honey, I’d give you my trampoline.

 Anyway, we jumped on there for ages before we got tired, and then we just laid there for a while, watching clouds go by. And, so, yeah, maybe I rolled to the side and watched you watching the clouds. Maybe I laid a little close, maybe I played with your hair. You just looked so peaceful. It was nice.

 Then I announced that I was hungry, so we went back into the house and made sandwiches. Yours was really neat and proper and mine was messy and kept falling apart, but it was a pretty damn good sandwich. I don’t know why the hell that is relevant…

 Then my brother came home. We snuck up to my room before he could see you. And we spent the rest of the afternoon watching films and laughing to loudly and shushing each other. I snuck a pizza up to my room, but my brother had gone out with some friends. And when we’d finished eating we just laid on my bedroom floor in silence, and it was nice.

 “I don’t want you to go home.”

 “What?”

 “Can’t you stay? Here? Please?”

 “I don’t know… I-”

 “Please?”

 “Okay.”

 So we crawled onto my bed and put on one last film. And you let me put my arms around you. And you fell asleep in my arms. And then I fell asleep too.

 And I’d never felt so happy.

 I just wanted you to know that, Jack.

                Love,
                Toby.