03

"I'm starving." Alana said as we continued walking through the quad.

The quad was packed with kids going from table to table, there were several fraternities and sororities hoping to catch the attention of some of the freshman for pledged week. I had no interest in joining a sorority and would probably not be wanted in one.

"Lets go get some food at the cafeteria." I said as my stomach was grumbling, it was still fairly early about ten o'clock, neither of us had class until twelve.

We walked the lengthy path towards the cafeteria and hoped there would be something good to eat, I assume there are larger selections of things to eat in universities in comparison to high schools at least. There was a pretty lengthy line to the buffet style breakfast that they had going on, the line was quick to move as kids would just pile a bit of everything on their plates. When it came time for us to pick our for I had settled on pancakes with some bacon and hoped that would ease my appetite. Alana on the other hand was piling it on and I already knew she wasn't going to finish, I hadn't realized we'd gotten to the point of sharing food with one another but I'm alright with it.

We sat down at a table close to the window, we were overlooking the crowds of people.

"I'm so excited to meet new people, I mean I've already met you and you're great." Alana piped with a bite of a pancake still in her mouth.

"Likewise, it's like having a sister." I smiled taking a bite of my fluffy golden pancakes.

I continued to gaze out of the window and I had finally found the dark haired boy. He was standing at a booth for a frat, I really couldn't tell which one. He was talking to two other boys that were positioned with their backs to me. He was in deep conversation I could tell by the way his eyebrows furrowed and his mouth got tight, he was unbelievably beautiful.

"Amelie." Alana whined, snapping me out of my trance.

"Yea? Sorry I must've spaced out." I said laughing nervously, she laughed with me and surprisingly finished her plate. I quickly caught up and threw everything away.

We hurriedly walked back to our dorm and grabbed all of our belongings as we had class. I walked to the big auditorium and prayed that this was my class, I hadn't had a chance to actually walk through my schedule since I got here but I'd get to it eventually. The auditorium sat close to a hundred kids and I quickly found a seat in the back, next to a punk looking girl. I use the term punk very lightly, she was dressed in all black and had a nose piercing. Although that does not conclude that she was a punk I had questions as to why she was wearing all black in this type of weather. She caught my gaze and shot me a bit of a nasty look. I realized I was probably staring and diverted my gaze down to the textbook. Intro to philosophy the book began.

Somewhere down the line I spaced out, whether it was because there was nothing to the first day or because there was no one that I knew in the class. The class finally ended and everyone rushed to leave, I stayed back slightly and watched the large body of people spill onto the sidewalks.

I walked the ten minutes back to the dorms and met up with Alana instantly, she was beaming as I was next to her.

"Guess who got invited to a party tonight?" She giggled, I instantly groaned at the word party.

In high school I wasn't much for parties and the idea of college parties had a new level of intimidation for me. "Come on Amelie, it'll be fun and if it's a total bust we can come back home and have our own party."

"Okay, fine." I gave in, although I had just met Alana I knew she was a person that wouldn't take no for an answer.

I guess there was no harm in a little party, I had never drank before but that didn't mean I couldn't have a potentially good time, right? We hurried up the stairs and hopped in the shower, it was only two but I already knew we were going to take forever to get ready plus I wanted to eat before we did anything else. While Alana took a shower I went ahead and ordered some burritos for delivery and by the time we were ready we could enjoy them.

I wore a black dress that reached over my knee and paired with some black flats, I had always been a little more conservative with my clothing choices just because I was always very insecure about my body. Alana on the other hand wore a tight maroon colored top and a black skirt that hugged her body very well.

"Ugh, I don't know what shoes to wear." She said frustrated, I remembered that I had a pair of black heels that I packed incase of an emergency. I sifted through my closet I found them, I also remembered that Alana and I were the same size in shoes.

"You are a life saver." She said as I handed her the heels, I remember when my mother had forced me to go to the mall to buy these. She was so convinced that I needed to have at least one pair of heels. My heart sank as I thought of my mother. I quickly shook it off as Alana was headed towards the door. It was eight o'clock and a Friday night so everyone was going out whether it was to frat parties or even clubs, no one seemed to be staying home. I was slightly proud of myself as I had finally gotten out of my shell even if I hadn't actually attended this party yet, but agreeing to it was the first step.

Alana kept looking down at her phone, I assumed to make sure we were going the right direction and we ended up at a large home. If I was to take a wild guess I'd say we were at a frat house just by the loud blaring music and continuous shouting. Alana reached over and rang the doorbell and a pair of green eyes met mine as the door opened.