ch. 8

Second day of school, whoopee-frickin'-doo, note the sarcasm. We started the day the same, said goodbye to Little Lava and met Rachel in front of the school.

"Now there's something I need to show you all," she said as we went up the stairs, "but L. made it clear that none of you are to bring any human up here." Once we got to the third floor, Rachel continued up to the mysterious fourth floor.

"What are you doing? I thought nothing was up there," said Sharky.

"Well that's what the human's think," she said, walking back up the stairs. The rest of us followed her up to a dusty green door covered in writing, but the weirdest part was that it had no door knob on it. How are we supposed to even get in?

Rachel brought her bracelet up to where the door knob should be and a blue light began scanning it. There was a loud beep and the door clicked open. As we walked in, it looked like a mini version of the SPA lab.

"If you run into any problems with your powers or the cloaking chips, just show your necklace to the scanner and we'll try to help any way we can." Once we were all out, the door shut and went back to normal, so we headed off to homeroom.

There were a few people staring but not as much as yesterday. We were on our way to our first class in the science wing while C.G. and Sash were in a freshman class.

"So do you guys think we'll be seeing more of her-royal-bitchiness today?" asked Dragon Girl.

Rosie clenched her fist, "She better not show her over-tanned face near C.B. or I'm gonna shove poison ivy right up her-"

"Ok, I think we get the picture," said Bird Girl as she rolled her eyes at her.

"Well since she wasn't in any of our classes yesterday, I doubt we'll see her other than at lunch for the rest of the semester," said Rocky as they entered he classroom.

"Remind me to thank L. for that later," said Arfie.

We set our stuff down just as the bell rang. As we waited for our science teacher Mrs. Davis, we took out our supplies for class.

"Hello class, good to see you all found your way here," said a man coming into the classroom. "Sorry I'm late, but I was just told that your teacher Mrs. Davis suffered a very serious injury last night and until we find a replacement, I will be your teacher," he said

We all looked at each other with confused looks. He seemed to be the complete opposite of Mrs. Davis. She was only about five feet and appeared to be in her late fifties, while this guy was much taller and seemed to be in his mid-twenties. After putting is things down, he looked straight at our group for a brief second and then casually looked away. Yesterday our teachers would occasionally sneak glances at us every few minutes. But he didn't. He went up to the white board and wrote his name, Mr. Mitchel.

"Ok class, now I know it's the second day of school, but I would like to assign you all a lab partner for future lab work. Once I assign you all partners I want you to find a spot in the room to get acquainted with."

Lava Girl quietly whispered to the rest of us while Mr. Mitchel was doing a head count, "We all need to be careful here in case any of us get stuck with a human partner."

Rachel nodded, "She's right. Don't want to blow our cover."

"Excuse me," said Mr. Mitchel, looking at our group. "Is there something you all wish to share with us? If not then I strongly suggest you all quiet down. Now since there's an even number, you will be working with the person next to you."

We all looked at each other with relief. We occupied the back and were all sitting next to each other, except Bird Girl. She's the only one of us with a human partner.

"Don't worry, just relax. We'll be right here if you need us," said Rocky.

B.G. let out a sigh as she rested her head on her books until she felt a light tap on her shoulder. Looking up, she saw clear blue eyes staring at her. Picking her head off her books she saw that it was her new 'lab partner'. How did she not notice him yesterday? He had a perfect mess of brown hair that went perfect with his sky blue eyes and tan skin. She opened he mouth to speak but was at a loss of words.

He cracked a smile and extended his hand to her, "I'm Sebastian, welcome to BHS." Coming undone from her spell she shook his hand, "I'm Esmeralda."

He seemed to be under the same spell until the bell rang, ending class. "Uh, see you tomorrow partner," he said as he waved goodbye. Bird Girl waved back, then quickly gathered up her things.

"B.G.'s got a boyfriend. B.G.'s got a boyfriend," Rosie quietly sang, making Bird Girl blush slightly. "Oh shut up, don't you have weeds to pull?"

"Could you all spare me a moment please," Mr. Mitchel called just before we went out the door. We turned to him as he walked over to us.

"You'll have to be quick, we have class," said Rachel

"I understand, I just wanted to welcome you all to this school. I understand that you all transferred in under your guardian Mr. Lloyd Griffin correct?" We nodded, knowing that he was referring to Mr. L.

"Good, now I want you all to know that if you need help with anything, my door is always open," he said looking us each in the eyes. We nodded again, eager to leave quickly.

"Ok, who else found that little chat a little creepy?" Rosie asked.

Sharky rolled her eyes, "Oh please, he's just a normal human. There're all creepy in their own way."

"Maybe, but he did seem a little eager to talk to us. Should we have L. do a background check on him?" said Silus.

"I'll talk to L. during lunch about him, but until then, be careful," said Rachel, following us to our next class.