Chapter 20: The Start of Something New

Niki: I stood outside the huge doors. Juilliard’s Dorms. I held my boxes of stuff, ready.

“You ready?” my mom asked.

“Yep,” I said. I took a step and pushed open the heavy doors.

I made my way up to the floor where my dorm would be. I walked down until I found my dorm room number. I opened it with my key, and looked in. “You must be Niki,” a girl sitting on a bed said. I nodded.

“You must be Miley,” I said.

“Just got here an hour ago. Oh and this is my mom,” Miley said, pointing to the woman who stood looking out the window. The woman spun and her mouth dropped.

“You’re,” was all she could get out.

“Oh sorry,” I said, “These are my parents, Zayn and Jessica Malik.”

“Oh my gosh!” the woman said, “Hi.”

“Hi,” my dad said.

“I’m a huge fan,” she said.

“Thank you,” my dad said.

“1D forever,” she said.

“Forever,” my dad said back.

“This is awkward,” Miley said.

“Tell me about it. I’ve had to deal with it my whole life,” I said.

“Oh and I picked this side by the way. I hope you don’t mind,” Miley said, gesturing to her side of the dorm.

“No problem,” I said, “I’ll get to work on this side.

My parents stayed until dinner. We ate out at a restaurant not too far from the campus. It was a little more fancy than I would probably dine at normally, but it was really good. Finally, my parents dropped me off at my dorm. “Okay,” my dad said, “Are you, like, ready for this?”

“Yes,” I said simply, “I am.”

“Okay,” he said. My mom sighed.

“Remember, mom and dad always have too much money for their own good. So if you don’t know what to do because the milk spoiled and you don’t have money to buy a new gallon, just call. We can help. And remember don’t walk down dark alleys at night, and try not to do anything too stupid. I mean, have fun, but we want you to come back in one piece,” my mom babbled.

“Mom,” I said, “I’ll be fine.”

My mom’s eyes filled with tears.

“Do you have to go so soon?” she asked.

“I’ll be fine mom,” I said, “Promise.”

“I know,” she said, wiping away a tear that was escaping her eye. She hugged me.

“I love you baby,” she said.

“I love you too mom,” I said.

“Okay Jess,” my dad said, “My turn.” Then he turned to me, “Just remember, guys are idiots Niks. Don’t do anything you’ll regret with one. Okay.”

“Dad, that is sooo not what you have to worry about,” I said.

“Good,” he said. His voice cracked.

“Love you baby,” he said, “I’ll see you in November.”

“Love you guys,” I said, “I’ll see you then.”

Then they left. And I started college, my whole new life.