Chapter 9: Notes

Niki: I was sitting at home, headphones on, daydreaming. You know, being my usual self. I heard a knock on my door. I pulled off my headphones, and yelled, “Come in.”

“Letter from Juilliard,” my dad said, peeking his head in and holding up an envelope. I snatched it from his hand and laid back down, ripping it open. I unfolded the letter. It read:

Dear Nikita Malik,

We are very excited to have you here at Juilliard this August. In the envelope, we have your class schedule, your dorm room, your dorm room number, your roommate’s profile, along with your studio assignment. We also have the list of rules not to be broken on decoration of dorms, general conduct, and studio rules. Your roommate’s personal information is listed in their profile for more information on them. You are allowed to start coming to campus on August 2nd at 3:00 pm, and classes will begin August 20th. Once again, we are excited to have you here at our university this fall.

Sincerely, Juilliard School Of Music

I flipped to the following page. A picture of a girl named Miley Andrewson stared back at me. The girl had slick blond hair tied in a bun and she was tall looking. She was well kept. She was a harpist. That was pretty much all it said. Her email was listed as orchestragirlforlife@gmail.com which I swiftly took upon myself to email. My letter started something like this.

Hey Miley,

My name is Niki Malik. I’m going to be your roommate at Juilliard. So I’ll start by saying a little about myself. I play music on many instruments. My favorite of mine to play is the Guitar, but seeing as that wasn’t listed as an option, I went to my life long playing of Piano. I see you play harp, which is pretty much the only instrument I have never taken the time to learn.

Listen, I figure since we are going to be living together for the next 4 years, I thought maybe we should get to know each other. I have this reoccuring fear we’ll end up like the chick from Pitch Perfect. IDK if you’ve seen that, and if you haven’t, it might be something to look into. Anyway, tell me a little about you. I live in London, and I have for the most part of my life. I have hair I change the color of on a regular basis and have a never ending collection of music, including mixtapes, CDs, MP3s, and vinyl. So if there is anything you have an interest in then just ask, I’m sure I have some kind of your preference. My favorite color is rainbow sparkles, if you need to know. I have been raised in music loving house, with an English teacher dad and music producer mom. Tell me about your life.

See you soon,

Niki

The response was quick. I was sitting on Amie’s bed, chatting, when I got the email. “Its her,” I said. Amie jumped to my side. “I’m going to read over your shoulder, okay?” she asked. I nodded.

Hey Niki,

Thanks for the email. I got my letter a few weeks ago (my mom was about to pass out when she saw I was rooming with a girl named Niki Malik by the way. Apparently her favorite boyband years ago had a member who named his daughter Niki Malik.) and didn’t know if I should email or not. Anyway, thanks. BTW you seem pretty freaking awesome. I play harp and drums. I also have a collection of vinyl records. My favorites are the Beatles. And I just will leave out a joke about how your from Britain and I like the Beatles. My family is pretty normal. I have one brother who gets on my every nerve and a new sister who is only 6. Do you have any siblings? My mom had me when she was very young, and when I say that I mean it. My dad walked out after he found out she was pregnant. She was smart though, staying in school and she went to college online. She got her degree and got married when I was almost 8. My step-dad owns a music shop and my mom is an online tutor. My brother is 10 now and my little sister is 6. I’m from New Orleans, Louisiana. Although I have moved around my whole life. And yes, I have seen Pitch Perfect. Its a pretty good movie. My favorite color is an orangey brown color, because its the color of my harp, which I have had a passion for since I was five years old. Email me what you want to decorate like and maybe we can coordinate. Anyway, gotta run.

Sincerly,

Miley

Okay, Miley was officially awesome. I looked up at Amie who was reading over my shoulder.

“You two will never kick things off,” Amie said sarcastically. I rolled my eyes. I now knew my roommate, and possibly, my friend for life.